4 replies to this topic

#1 JordyJRT

JordyJRT

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:14 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at heating the small rabbit houses but just for chillier days rather than at night and I was wondering would a low watt(15/25w) heat cable on the back inside wall work or will the tortoise burn themselves... If I can't use a heat cable how else would you suggest heating them because I can't find any safe methods and it's far to small to fit a tubular heater or ceramic heat emitter : (

Many Thanks,

Jordan

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

Jordan,when you say about 'chiller days' what do you mean. Using my experience, at this time of year, no additional heating is required x x x x hugs x x

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

Hi everyone,
I've been looking at heating the small rabbit houses but just for chillier days rather than at night and I was wondering would a low watt(15/25w) heat cable on the back inside wall work or will the tortoise burn themselves... If I can't use a heat cable how else would you suggest heating them because I can't find any safe methods and it's far to small to fit a tubular heater or ceramic heat emitter : (
Many Thanks,
Jordan

The day time temps don't need boosting as such normally, but if the tortoise is not emerging in the morning due to lengthy cool,spells, then your really need a basking source to encourage him to behave more naturally. I'm not sure what a heat cable is, but if he could reach it then no, it's not a good idea, as tortoises can suffer from serious contact burns from heat mats or similar. If your enclosure is too small, the only option might be to get a bigger one for him.

#4 JordyJRT

JordyJRT

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:28 PM

I mean as it gets a little colder but still warm enough for her to be outside like sept/oct but may want warming up a bit every now and again (she will be brought inside once temps get too low before hibernation time)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:38 PM

I have a couple of halogen lamps that I have in Tort Lodge Gardens which give off warmth either early or late in the season. On cooler days if torts are reluctant to be outside and I switch it on they seem drawn to it so benefit from late season sun and can extend their wakefulness....but that discussion is a whole new post x. X x xhugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users