• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Louise.abe

Louise.abe

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:01 PM

I have two Hermans tortoises which I have had since they were a few months old. They have been kept inside in an enclosure with soil and sand and a heat and uv light. Now they are getting bigger and nearly 6 years old I really want to move them outside. They do currently spend time outside during the day. My dad has build a wooden enclosure 6ft by 4 ft but am wanting advise on how to intigrate them outside or any advise to make there new home as good as it can be.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:41 PM

It's good you are looking at getting them outdoors. At six years of age, they need a large enclosure. I would say metres rather than feet to be honest though, or they will spend most of their time trying to escape. Have a look at Karens enclosure, there are pics on here somewhere. My own tortoises of that age have the run of my Garden with cat flap type access to a greenhouse and heated indoor hide area at the back of my garage. August is a bit late for them to adapt to outdoors, but it would be good to get it sorted ready for when they come out of hibernation in spring. Good luck :)

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

Hi Louise welcome to the forum. :)

It's really good your planning this for your tortoises as they do so much better living outside in a natural enclosure, I do agree with Sue though that it is getting a little late in the year for this and you might be best getting every thing ready for spring next year where they can settle into the new enclosure and have plenty of time outside, you will need to have some form of shelter out side to the enclosure with heat added, some use small greenhouses or wooded shelters I have a heated shed for my lot, with out the heated area they wouldn't be able to stay outside all the time.

If you can make the area for them as big as possible this would also help with the sides high enough that they can't escape, in the enclosure you can add large rocks and plenty of plants I have things like ornamental grass, hebe, heather, lavatera, and hibiscus all these plants work really well and they don't eat them, I also plant loads of weed seeds so the enclosure has weeds in for them to eat, I get my seeds here  http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm  :)

Here's a couple of pictures of my enclosure taken last year it might give you some ideas. :)

SAM_2354_zps8f7t5eyu.jpg

SAM_2356_zps17ttyomh.jpg

SAM_2320_zpsif3q8hyw.jpg

#4 gizmosmum

gizmosmum

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Dogs, narrowboats,

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

Lovely enclosure, would I be right in saying if you can't manage heated shed, smaller kennel type thing would do, as long as it had enough height to accommodate heat lamp and frost heater. Sorry to but in but I know how I felt at the beginning looking at all the fantastic set ups, thinking I couldn't manage anything as good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users