Positioning Of Outdoor Run

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Amanda

Amanda

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Walking dogs, camping, netball.

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

Hi. I am a new tortoise owner as of last week and also new to any sort of forum! I am trying to decide which area of my garden is best for creating an outdoor run. Our garden is quite large but has lots of different sections to it so the area I'm looking at used to be the kids play garden. The trampoline & other outdoor play equipment has been moved elsewhere & now I have 3 possible corners to create the tortoise garden! Corner 1 gets dappled sun from 10am but is in complete shade 1-4pm & then full sun. It's next to the shed so handy if I need to use an electric heater! Corner 2 has full sun & some shade from about 1pm on & is also next to the shed. And corner 3 has areas of sun & shade from 11am & all day but is not close to the shed! I'm going to need to create a run with a mesh top as we have cats & dogs & there are also a lot of birds. Corner 1 would be easiest to use but worried there isn't enough sun! Any advice gratefully received! Thanks!

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

Welcome to tortoise keeping, we will help you all we can. The first thing to think about is the position of the sun. A tortoise enclosure needs sun all day, or at least a high proportion of it. Corner one would not work, I'm thinking. Corner 2 would be better, unless you are saying there is no fun in the morning. Morning sun is very important to get them going. You don't need sun after 4 pm as they naturally dig down then for the night.
Hope this helps

#3 Amanda

Amanda

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 09:40 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! There is no sun in the morning in corner 2 so therefore I think corner 3 might be best. This will have sun pretty much all day from 11ish . It would be a bigger area too. I'm sure I will have a million more questions to ask over the coming few months!! Thanks!

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:14 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! There is no sun in the morning in corner 2 so therefore I think corner 3 might be best. This will have sun pretty much all day from 11ish . It would be a bigger area too. I'm sure I will have a million more questions to ask over the coming few months!! Thanks!

If you use this area, then you will need lamps to warm them first thing. Morning is the most important time I feel for tortoises. Mine all come outside around 8-9am and angle themselves against a wall to get the best of the rays. Remember when using the sun they are taking in uvb rays too.

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

Hi. I am a new tortoise owner as of last week and also new to any sort of forum! I am trying to decide which area of my garden is best for creating an outdoor run. Our garden is quite large but has lots of different sections to it so the area I'm looking at used to be the kids play garden. The trampoline & other outdoor play equipment has been moved elsewhere & now I have 3 possible corners to create the tortoise garden! Corner 1 gets dappled sun from 10am but is in complete shade 1-4pm & then full sun. It's next to the shed so handy if I need to use an electric heater! Corner 2 has full sun & some shade from about 1pm on & is also next to the shed. And corner 3 has areas of sun & shade from 11am & all day but is not close to the shed! I'm going to need to create a run with a mesh top as we have cats & dogs & there are also a lot of birds. Corner 1 would be easiest to use but worried there isn't enough sun! Any advice gratefully received! Thanks!

Hi Amanda, welcome to the forum. :)

As Sue has already said choose the best place in the garden that get's the most sun it's the sun that keeps them warm and active through the day, as it's getting later in the year you have plenty of time now to put thought into the enclosure and get it already for spring, also to get electrics to it as having a heat lamp to the enclosure is a must for mornings and cooler days, any questions you have just ask were always here happy to help. :)

#6 Amanda

Amanda

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:20 PM

Thanks guys! Think I may need to look at my garden and maybe other areas of it again! Will look to see where gets sun even earlier in the morning. Would be nice to have it where the kids play garden was though as there would be room to sit and watch Koopa. Yes just planning for the moment and hopefully will be ready for next Spring.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:01 PM

The thing is, no matter where you choose the tortoises always show you in the end if you made the right decision. I thought I had the right spot for my Russians years ago, but they kept digging under a clump of palm trees and so that is where they eventually spent many happy years. No way did I want them there but it was the right place in the end ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users