Temps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:I have two children, both girls (aged 12 years and 18mths)
    I am an A and E nurse in Manchester and love every minute of it.

Love camping, cycling and anything fun and exciting.

We have two cats, Marilyn and Jimmy and now our new addition Hank the tortoise!

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:27 AM

Hi everyone, in the outdoor house (cave area) what should the maximum temperature? The frost heater is on it there but I'm only reaching temps of 14 at its highest. I haven't moved Hank in because I thought it was too cold. Do I need a bigger watt frost heater to put out more heat?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

What heater are you using? Do you have a door? Temps get low even in the wild, it's the sun and basking facilities that are important. Torts only warm up by basking and not by background heat. To be honest it's too late in the season now for him to adjust to outdoor temps, as by the time he's got used to it it will be time to bring him in, meaning his weight will not be good for hibernation. Frost heaters are just what they say, they are designed to keep the area safe, not to warm the tortoises up to feeding temps.

#3 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

I have a tube frost heater in the kennel to just keep the edge of the cold whilst he sleeps. We boarded up the door with wood and left enough space for him to get in and out. I was worried 12-14 was too low in there and he would never come out.
Outside the kennel area I have a basking lamp under some perspex sheet which gets up to around 32.

I did think I was going to have to wait until next year now.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

Can you not use the basking lamp in the indoor area Jen? There's not a lot of use to it being outside as they will yes the natural sunlight to bask. He needs to reach temps of 30 degrees artificially if the weather is poor and temps of 14 are not going to encourage him to move out of his shelter if that makes sense. Use a stat, so you are not wasting electrics/discouraging him from going out into the sun. You can set it to around 20 which will get him moving in the morning. You can also use a timer so he has to go in search of more sunlight once he's warmed up. They do get the hang of it after a while though, so it's only a pain in the beginning.

#5 JenB

JenB

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:20 PM

So if I put the basking lamp in the house instead of the frost heater and set it to turn on when temps are low (12) but to only reach a maximum of 20?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users