Background Heating In A Cold Frame / Ground Temp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:13 PM

Hi there

A quick question on background heating in a cold frame.

My two 20 months old Hermann baby tortoises will sleep underground at night in the cold frame outdoors. In that cold frame there will be a background heater with a thermostat, so that the heater kicks in if it gets too cold in the cold frame. Pic of the cold frame attached.

My question - how would a background heater influence the temp of the ground in which bury deep themselves to sleep?

Thank you

Sabina

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

It won't significantly Sabina, it's just to make sure the temp doesn't drop low enough to trigger hibernation behaviour. For ground/basking temps you will need a heat bulb or ceramic heater

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 24 May 2017 - 04:15 PM

Thank you Sue.

The cold frame will have these three sources of heat. I hope that's appropriate. Please let me know.

1) 100W Pig lamp for the mornings to get them going when they wake up. Connected to timer.

2) Background heater - Connected to thermostat. For when it is too cold on days or nights.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3) 40W Infrared ceramic heater /heat emitter for heat on ground at night. Connected to thermostat. I will put it in one corner in the cold frame.

http://www.exo-terra...amic_heater.php

The cold frame has a piston which opens its roof automatically if it is too hot inside. Starts to open gradually from 17-25 degrees celcius, then opens to a max of 45cm when reaching 30 degrees celcius.

There is no hide for them in the cold frame, i will let them dig in the cold frame where ever they want. Is that suitable for their needs?

Sabina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users