Incubation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:50 AM

Hi Everyone
I just wondered if anyone knew how much time can pass inbetween a tortoise laying eggs and then placing them in an incubator This has not happened but the scenario being :- the tortoise lays her eggs and you do not realise and discover the eggs some time later.The question being how much time can pass before the eggs are spoiled and fail to hatch?
Thanks for any replies
Kind Regards
Laura(Tomatillo)

#2 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:58 PM

HI Tomatillo well not sure of the answer to this question,ive found eggs and they must of been there 3 days and they hatched.it all depends on the ground temps so i would think a few days and if the egg does not start to develope it will turn bad.take care jeff

#3 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

Hi Laura
Depends on where she lays them. If they are at least 80F during the day they will start to develop. So if she lays them under a heat lamp, you might even just find babies. If it's in a cool spot maybe 3 weeks and I'm just guessing with that. The longer they go without you finding them just means that you can't do any turning of the eggs in the transfer from the nest to the incubator.
Dan

#4 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

Hi Dan so what your saying if the eggs are fertile and the mother lays them in a cool spot it can take three weeks for the eggs to go bad.take care jeff

#5 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

Thanks Dan and Jeff
I think I'll just make sure I keep a close eye on Rosie.I was just a bit concerned that she might lay while I was out and I didn't notice.She did give me plenty of warning though last time, with her aggressive behaviour ,loss of appetite and pacing the enclosure at night.Anyway guys thanks for the information -very useful to know these things just in case lol.
Kind Regards
Laura(Tomatillo)

#6 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

Your welcome. Thats what I'm thinking Jeff. As long as they don't get cold, like the 40's, they should be fine for 3 weeks. Maybe even more.
Dan

#7 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hi Dan yes i think you could be right there.take care jeff

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

Last summer one of my hermans laid on the surface (scatter laid) i didn't find the eggs for 6 days and in that time the weather was not good rain most days but i thought i would still try them in the incubator and out of the four three still hatched successfully, also found redfoot eggs buried in my reds enclosure that had possibly been there several weeks they have all still hatched
Darren

#9 Guest_Tomatillo_*

Guest_Tomatillo_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:26 PM

Hi Darren(Piglet)
It's amazing how hardy those delicate little eggs are.
Kind Regards
Laura(Tomatillo)

#10 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

Hi darren nice one mate thats great news, so the thing is never give up on eggs untill it is certain they are know good.take care jeff

#11 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:49 PM

I always incubate any egg as you say Jeff i never give up o any egg you never no
Darren

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users