Photo

Slide Show - Emerging From Hibernation

7 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 17 March 2018 - 01:25 PM

Hello

Here is a slide show of my two 30 months old Hermann babies emerging this morning from hibernation after 9 weeks in the fridge.

All went well. They were soaked, fed with fresh weeds and now they are napping and basking.

Sabina

Attached Files

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:37 PM

Wow! Thanks for this Sabina. Its a fascinating and educational series of pics to illustrate how well things go when done properly. Well done, bet youre glad to have the little terrors back above ground. Everything taken into account for them. :)

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Thank you Sue, yes i am very grateful to have the little monsters back on the ground, as this was the first hibernation they had with me :-)  And thanks again for all your advices!!

Yes good idea to put the post in the naturalistic section. Karen do you mind transferring the post?

Sabina

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:01 AM

Thank you Sue, yes i am very grateful to have the little monsters back on the ground, as this was the first hibernation they had with me :-)  And thanks again for all your advices!!

Yes good idea to put the post in the naturalistic section. Karen do you mind transferring the post?

Sabina

Hi Sabina,

I've moved the post, it's really good thanks for posting it, it must be lovely having the little ones back up we now just need some nice weather.  :) 

#5 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

Thanks very much vor showing this. First class! You are a good example.

But next winter, they can hibernate longer, can´t they?

#6 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

Yes they will hibernate longer as they get bigger and older and me more experienced at the same time. They will be 3 years in September and estimated weight before hibernation planned in mid-end of December will be 80-90 grams, so perhaps 10-11 weeks? What is your opinion on young Hermanns?
Thank you
Sabina

#7 Germanlady

Germanlady

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:I like tortoises, especially my own ones.
    I love taking long walks, alone or with groups.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

Of course in nature they hibernate as long as the adults in general. But the winters are not as long as ours. I think, in the third year they can "sleep" 12 weeks with no problems.

#8 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:18 PM

Thank you for the advice Germanlady.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users