16 replies to this topic

#1 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

Hibernation is fast approaching us if your planning on using an out building or shed for this please make sure you have some form of heating on a thermostat to stop the temperature dropping to freezing when the weather turns really cold, also think about protecting your tortoises against rodents rats 🐀 can be a real problem to hibernating tortoises 🐢

#2 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 27 October 2018 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the reminder Karen. I will be hibernating Shelly for the second time in a few days. She was boxed last year in the garage where we kept a close eye on her and the temps.. All went well but that doesn't make it any easier this year :rolleyes:

With the weather being so nice for October its been great to see her up and about most morning but these last few days Its been really hard keeping her awake as she has been digging down really deep early afternoons.. I think her last bath will be either tomorrow or Monday as I think she is ready for her big nap..

Keep on with the great advise

Carol x

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:24 PM

When did she last eat Carol?

#4 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:33 PM

Hi Sue

She hasn't eaten for 5 weeks, she weighs 400g and measured 12.5 which calculates on the Jackson Ratio = 0.2048. She has been bathed every other day sometime more..Had a job getting her up this morning but seemed to enjoy her bath lol...

Should I do anything more or different.. your advise is welcome..

Carol x

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:06 PM

It’s a bit late now but I wouldn’t have left her so long in wind down. The recommended max is 4 weeks for an adult, so slightly less for a small one. The Jackson ratio only works for wild torts unless grown exactly the same as a wild one. Shell structure is generally very different to wild tortoises, so the ratio doesn’t really work. I’d get her in ASAP and make sure hydration during hibernation is good, by using damp soil. Good luck ;)

#6 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:40 PM

Hi Sue

How long would the wind down be for my 3 years old babies as you know their weight? Last year i did two entire weeks with no food, and found one dropping in the hibernation box. And gosh they made a lot of poops during these two weeks of fasting.

Thank you

Sabina

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:50 PM

I’d do three weeks Sabina, if they are indoors and presumably have good ambient temps as opposed to greenhouse etc They are doing really well, please feel free to put pics on. I am biased of course and love to see them

#8 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

Hi Sue

I didn't intend to leave her for five weeks its just that the weather turned really warm again and didn't want to risk putting her in. She is in damp soil so I will keep checking her.Thanks again for your advise..

good luck to everyone..xx

#9 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

HI Sue

Sure, here are 6 pics taken this weekend. Although they are under my care, they will always remain your babies too.

Sabina

Attached Files

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:25 PM

Wow, just look at how natural they look. That growth is amazing, just goes to show how naturalistic keeping gives fantastic results. You’ve done brilliantly with them Sabina, well done

#11 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:00 PM

Thanks Sue.

So what is the difference between the shell structure of a wild tortoise and shell structure of a captive one? How to they differ?

Sabina

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

Not all captive ones, but an awful lot are a lot more thickened, but actually lighter in weight. Correct light levels (outdoors as much as possible) choice of heat and humidity and keeping growth nice and slow creates the correct shell structure. The difference is more obvious on autopsy’s on dead tortoises. The thinner stronger shells of wild tortoises on cross section are just like bone, as they should be, being part of the skeleton and needing to support a relatively large body. Cross section of the captive, indoor brighter coloured tortoises shell is much thicker, almost cushioned in appearance and is full of holes a bit like a chocolate aero bar. This is actually lighter in weight and less strong, so less able to support the weight easily, as is needed. It can be compared to osteoporosis in humans and other animals. It can’t be fully reversed and means that the tortoise has to suffer to a degree for its entire life. They often die in middle age or younger sadly.

#13 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:46 PM

Thanks Sue that very good to know for prevention.

It is horrible to think they can suffer in silence because they have no facial expression, and no voice.

How would you detect if a tortoise suffers from pain?

Sabina

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 04:30 AM

HI Sue

Sure, here are 6 pics taken this weekend. Although they are under my care, they will always remain your babies too.

Sabina

Wow they're gorgeous Sabina, well done it does show that keeping them right makes a big difference.  :)

#15 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:40 PM

Thanks Sue that very good to know for prevention.
It is horrible to think they can suffer in silence because they have no facial expression, and no voice.
How would you detect if a tortoise suffers from pain?
Sabina

Hiding away is often a sign of them feeling unwell, but pain is often shown by them tearing around.

#16 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:10 PM

HI Sue
Sabina

great pics. Perfect little specimens

#17 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

For those who are hiberanting their torts with the refregiration method (fridge method), this is what i did last year for the boxes. It worked well, so i thought i would share it this year. Open PDF document which is inside the thread link below, you will see pics of the boxes etc.

http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=9791

And a cutie photo from last year (yawning when emerging from hibernation) as a bonus below.

Sabina

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users