• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 08:49 PM

Unfortunately whilst giving my tortoise a bath in a basin in the sink, he managed to climb up and get the foam washing up pad which we use for the dishes. He has eaten 4 bites out of it and I am hoping someone can advice me what I should do now. I am very worried and upset. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

#2 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:46 AM

Hi Aud7

Sorry I cant offer any help.I have no experience.

My tort is in hibernation.

There doesn't seem to be anyone on this site much which is a real shame. Hopefully Karen, Sue or Graham might be able to help.

Just wondered how your tort was doing.

Carol

#3 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 06:29 PM

Aw thank you Carol. So nice to hear from someone even if you couldn't advise. You have still helped, by caring. It is such a shame the website does not seem to be getting used much. I have always found it to be a real help with all the invaluable advice that is offered.
So far, thankfully my tortoise does seem to be alright but as far as I know he has not passed any of the foam unfortunately. Hopefully in time he will and then i can relax again knowing all is well.
Hope you are doing okay in these very difficult and challenging times. Keep safe.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 15 January 2021 - 12:06 PM

Hi Carol
Sadly everyone seems to have moved to Facebook. Firstly I would suggest lots of fibrous food to help move the foam along. Dont give pelleted or dry food which could solidify more in the digestive tract. Its a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but its not a good idea to soak torts in the sink as its stressful as you have found, shown by his attempts to escape. Always provide water in his habitat and make sure humidity is high enough to sustain hydration without the need for bathing. Keep an eye out for him passing the foam, although this could take weeks. Hope this helps. Sue x

#5 aud7

aud7

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 06:54 PM

Thank you very much for your advice Sue. Feeding tort some spring greens as I write. Will go looking for some dandelion leaves tomorrow, think I know where there is a little clump growing.
So far no foam has been passed but my tort is eating and has pooped and appears to be his usual self. Hopefully this will continue. Shame that everyone is using Facebook especially when I am not even on Facebook. Thanks again.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

Thank you very much for your advice Sue. Feeding tort some spring greens as I write. Will go looking for some dandelion leaves tomorrow, think I know where there is a little clump growing.
So far no foam has been passed but my tort is eating and has pooped and appears to be his usual self. Hopefully this will continue. Shame that everyone is using Facebook especially when I am not even on Facebook. Thanks again.

Just keep watching, but don’t feed spring greens, they inhibit the uptake of calcium. You really need to give a varied natural diet, better still hibernate over the winter months and don’t forget, no more forced bathing ;)

#7 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:29 PM

Thats such a shame that everyone has gone to facebook, I am not on facebook either. I loved this site always great advise and friendly people.

Thanks Sue for the update.

Carol

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:46 PM

Thats such a shame that everyone has gone to facebook, I am not on facebook either. I loved this site always great advise and friendly people.

Thanks Sue for the update.

Carol

Well we’re still here NANACAZ, but we just need to keep checking that we’ve not been logged out as the notifications aren’t all that reliable. I shall keep checking in the future lol :)

#9 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Sue

just got facebook page which site do I need to join as there are a few.

Thanks again

Carol

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:45 AM

There are several NANACAZ. I left the one linked to this page as there was quite a bit of nastiness, which you find amongst many FB groups, so don’t have a direct link. Keyboard warriors and all that lol. Mine is ‘Maintaining Tortoises Naturalistically in a non Native Climate’. Another good one is ‘Teeside Tortoises’. I still have the Tortsmad one but need to give it more input......this has been a bad year in more ways than one sadly. I’ve left more groups than I’ve joined lol, due to the worrying advice given re indoor keeping etc. I’m no longer breeding tortoises either for the same reason. Very sad.

#11 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the information, its very much appreciated.

The point you made about FB groups are one of the reasons why I have not had a FB account. I have one now though but dont think I will use it much..

I have Tortsmad though, had that for some time.

Think I will keep coming back to this site. lol.

going to try and order some seeds to start off in the greenhouse before she wakes up as I have a feeling that it wont be too long now.

Thanks again

Carol x

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the information, its very much appreciated.

The point you made about FB groups are one of the reasons why I have not had a FB account. I have one now though but dont think I will use it much..

I have Tortsmad though, had that for some time.

Think I will keep coming back to this site. lol.

going to try and order some seeds to start off in the greenhouse before she wakes up as I have a feeling that it wont be too long now.

Thanks again

Carol x

Well we will always be here for you Carol. I’ve cut down drastically on Facebook use but will need it to promote my latest project lol. Try the naturalistic group on Facebook. I took it over a few months back from a knowledgeable young man who has done lots of research. I have to admit to not having as much scientific knowledge as he does, but doing my best and very much sold on the naturalistic approach. Good luck with waking your little one, I’m hoping my tribe will stay until March. We will see :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users