- - - - -

Red footed plants

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_charlesc1982_*

Guest_charlesc1982_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Hello, I have been looking online for my new pet red foot, and have had some trouble finding any edible plants that are available to purchase online or at the stores that I could plant and maintain to add to my torts diet. I have seen a grass seed mixture designed for rainforest tortoises but I dont know if this is the right stuff for me to use. Any help would be appreciated. Also if there are any plants that can be kept in an indoor enclosure with my little guy that would be helpful as well. thanks all in advance.

#2 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:03 PM

I would just get plants soutable for eny tort. Im getting 2 reds in a week and will feed the same plants as my stars and Hermanns:-) I bout my plants localy but leave for 2 weeks incase of pestacides.

#3 Guest_charlesc1982_*

Guest_charlesc1982_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-05-07 AT 08:30 PM (GMT)]By chance could you list a few easily attainable plants that would meet these requirements. I have list of tortoise safe plants, but any particular plant suggestions would be great

#4 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

I will let you know as soon as i can its dark out so cant read lables.

#5 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:07 PM

Forgot to say when you do outsid inclosure yucca plant and asparugus fern are great for shade.

#6 Guest_charlesc1982_*

Guest_charlesc1982_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

would they be viable inside? By the way thank you for your advice :)

#7 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

What are you housing your tort in when inside. Both plants would be ok inside but tend to grow rather large. Im planning on putting mine in tubs so i can bring inside in winter. It has been said that mint is good for cover for a young tort. I grow a lot of pansys as my star likes the leaves and my Hermanns like the flowers. I will get you a better list as i know of others who have older reds. It will be interesting to see if there are any favorites:-)

#8 Guest_charlesc1982_*

Guest_charlesc1982_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:38 AM

The setup is I have a 33x17x12 bin, using a 50/50 sand/peat moss mixture. I plan on keeping then still in the pots i just wanted to offer some variety in terms of places he can hide out on the cooler side of the enclosure that wouldnt be bad if he (or she) decided to take a nibble. Its a baby, and I also have all the necessary lighting (UVA basking light and reptisun 5.0).

#9 Guest_charlesc1982_*

Guest_charlesc1982_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

Just ordered some Pothos and Asparagus fern online, they are coming next week :)

#10 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:47 PM

whot website was that from:-) Not had a chance to find out about the other plants yet. Had a realy bad day but will do it now

#11 Guest_charlesc1982_*

Guest_charlesc1982_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:50 PM

http://www.anapsid.org/tortdiet.html is the site I found for pothos, you gave me asparagus fern :)

#12 Guest_leggy_*

Guest_leggy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

hi,i meant what website did you buy the fern from.lol. as i havent manage to find one yet,the plants you can feed are honeysuckle flowers,hibiscus bushes with red,yellow or orange flowers prefably.and pansies,there are others but these are what most people feed.

#13 Guest_charlesc1982_*

Guest_charlesc1982_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:32 AM

haha now i feel dumg :/ http://paulap1550.ecrater.com/ is the site that I ordered from. I think it may be US only though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users