• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

I have been reading about people giving their tortoises a gentle scrub (with a soft toothbrush) and then oiling the shell, either with a commercial product or with coconut oil.

I can't see the harm (if you're gentle) - but is this something I should be doing?  Regularly?  Occasionally?  If so...how often?

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:28 PM

No, you must never oil the shell. Think about nature, nobody does it there. Oiling the shell causes harmful build up preventing the shell from regulating it's temps, it also encourages shell rot. Only ever wash the tortoise with plain water, unless of course it's been oiled already when it can take weeks of scrubbing with carex hand wash or similar to remove it.
  • Rue likes this

#3 Rue

Rue

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

The more I look into it...the more it seems there are two camps! :huh:

But yes...I thought oiling was a little odd - unless there was some shell damage that it might help improve.  I can see a gentle scrub with a soft toothbrush once in a while might be a good idea though.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 24 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

If people think about tortoises, there are no breeds, just species. These species have evolved over millions of years without the help of man, so if we try to emulate the way they live in the wild, simply add the heat that they are missing in this country, then they will thrive and only need a vet in the rarest of circumstances. There are lots of different tortoise groups on Facebook and other places on the net, many of which have different ideas, often resulting in the need for a vet. It must be hard for newcomers to differentiate between what is OK and what is definitely not ok. I think if you just keep in mind that they are wild animals and nature knows best you won't go far wrong :)
  • Rue likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users