15 replies to this topic

#1 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:27 PM

Hi,
Georgie has been living outside now for the last week but every night Ive been putting him into his little house at night, am I doing the right thing or should I leave him to do his own thing? Ill try and upload pics!

#2 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:15 AM

Can anyone help me on how to upload pictures please ! Lol sorry I’m not very technical lol

#3 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

If the little house is in outdoor enclosure and not heated at night yes it is a goodod idea to put it inside it so if the weather turns funny at night it is under shelter. You will need to have the ground of the little house bottomless and the sides digged into the ground in order to give the chance for your tort to dig in the ground inside the house..I would also water the soil inside the little house to keep it damp as needed.

Hope his helps. Any further questions please ask on the forum.
Sabina

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:47 AM

Can anyone help me on how to upload pictures please ! Lol sorry I’m not very technical lol

Hi Millie,

When you go to reply in the bottom right hand it says more reply options click on that and it gives you the option to attach files you can upload photos that way.  :)

#5 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:56 AM

Thankyou so much Ill give it a go !

#6 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

If the little house is in outdoor enclosure and not heated at night yes it is a goodod idea to put it inside it so if the weather turns funny at night it is under shelter. You will need to have the ground of the little house bottomless and the sides digged into the ground in order to give the chance for your tort to dig in the ground inside the house..I would also water the soil inside the little house to keep it damp as needed.
Hope his helps. Any further questions please ask on the forum.
Sabina

Thankyou so much yes this has helped, the little house is heated but not bottomless , but I have filled it with soil, I’ll sort that this afternoon though by taking the bottom off it x

#7 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:02 AM

Here is georgies out door enclosure, hope you can see it lol ??

#8 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

Attached File  E45364B0-0288-4B03-8DB3-E901E81F7513.jpeg   64.07KB   9 downloads

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 16 June 2018 - 07:59 AM

attachicon.gifE45364B0-0288-4B03-8DB3-E901E81F7513.jpeg

Looking good Millie :)

#10 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 09:24 AM

Thankyou so much yes this has helped, the little house is heated but not bottomless , but I have filled it with soil, I’ll sort that this afternoon though by taking the bottom off it x

Just to add it’s only heated through the day not at night !

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 June 2018 - 06:15 PM

Perfect, no heat needed overnight :)

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

Perfect little setup,secure from preditors so will be 100% fine 😊

#13 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

Perfect little setup,secure from preditors so will be 100% fine 😊

#14 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:05 AM

Hi Millie,

Your setup for Georgie is almost identical to mine for my little one Queenie, Queenie absolutely loves it and i've found shes been so much more active and happier since moving outside!

Just one question though that hopefully you can help me with - what do you do when it rains? I've been covering up the wooden shelter with plastic sheeting, so that no rain gets inside, but the soil outside is currently soaked from all the rain, Queenie still comes outside in the day for food and a wander, but i'm worried about shell rot if the wet soil is sticking to her. there are holes in the bottom so the rain water does soak through and out. 

What does everyone else do? Currently I've not been putting the light on for her as temps have been relatively warm, was going to wait until it dropped to 10 degrees or below as have read other comments on here. 

Thanks all,

Nic

#15 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:05 PM

Hi Millie,
Your setup for Georgie is almost identical to mine for my little one Queenie, Queenie absolutely loves it and i've found shes been so much more active and happier since moving outside!

Just one question though that hopefully you can help me with - what do you do when it rains? I've been covering up the wooden shelter with plastic sheeting, so that no rain gets inside, but the soil outside is currently soaked from all the rain, Queenie still comes outside in the day for food and a wander, but i'm worried about shell rot if the wet soil is sticking to her. there are holes in the bottom so the rain water does soak through and out. 

What does everyone else do? Currently I've not been putting the light on for her as temps have been relatively warm, was going to wait until it dropped to 10 degrees or below as have read other comments on here. 

Thanks all,
Nic

#16 Millie

Millie

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

Hi nic,

Tbh Im new to this aswell, I do put Georgie in it at night and close the door. I cover it with s price of plastic aswell, I have got heat bulb in there and this comes on at 8-4 but he seems to come out about 10 ish and then eats then buries so i have to find him again.

Does Queenie go in and out of the little house on her own?
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users