• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

Hi, I have had my Tortoise since March last year she is just 13 months old and lives in a Tortoise table. Im worried about my house being too cold for her, it was 15 degrees this morning as the heating was coming on but I think it has been colder than that previous nights. Ive just checked now when I get back and it says its 16.6 degrees now. My house has high ceilings so the temperature does drop, Im not able to have the heating on in just one room if I turn it on it heats the whole house. Her basking spot is 32 degrees but she seems to be spending more time under there. Are these temperatures too low? Can any suggest anything I can do if they are? I thought about a Vivarium temporarily or just for night time but not sure this is a good idea as I know there not good for tortoises and I dont want to make her stressed. She has been getting up herself in the morning not long after the light comes on and is eating fine.
Thanks for any help/ suggestions

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

Indoors it’s absolutely fine overnight. My 170 year old cottage gets colder than that and I have 7 month old babies with no heating overnight. Don’t use a viv, that will cause countless problems and will cause confusion when spring comes as your ambient temps will then be lower than the viv was. Her behaviour sounds perfectly fine for this time of year. If she is sleeping under the basking lamp though, you need to reduce her basking temps. Do you water the hide area to make sure she’s well hydrated?

#3 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for your reply, Ill stick with the table I just wanted reassurance she will be ok. Yes I water the hide and the rest of the table each day and she has a water dish in her table which I have moved into the warm end to encourage her to use it more as I think it may have been too cold for her to go in. I also give her a bath almost every day. What should the humidity level be in a table? After reading other posts I have taken a log tunnel out which she sometimes slept under to encourage her to dig down every night (she does mainly do this). What temperature does it have to be outside when it gets warmer to move her to her outdoor enclosure? Many thanks

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:43 AM

Thanks for your reply, Ill stick with the table I just wanted reassurance she will be ok. Yes I water the hide and the rest of the table each day and she has a water dish in her table which I have moved into the warm end to encourage her to use it more as I think it may have been too cold for her to go in. I also give her a bath almost every day. What should the humidity level be in a table? After reading other posts I have taken a log tunnel out which she sometimes slept under to encourage her to dig down every night (she does mainly do this). What temperature does it have to be outside when it gets warmer to move her to her outdoor enclosure? Many thanks

Hi welcome to the forum.  :) 

Do you have a heated area outside with a basking lamp in the outside enclosure, as this will make a difference, are you planning on her staying out all summer.  :) 

#5 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

Hello thanks for the welcome 😊
I dont have any electricity outside so I cant use a basking lamp

#6 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 08:17 AM

I was hoping she will be able to go outside and stay outside but will follow any advice on what is best for her

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

I was hoping she will be able to go outside and stay outside but will follow any advice on what is best for her

You really need to have a heat source outside especially with little ones as they will cool down quite fast when the sun goes in and they would then just dig in, with heat outside they can go warm back up when they need too which means on dull days they can stay outside longer hope that helps.  :) 

#8 Popple

Popple

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for your reply I will look into getting some electric outside, which lights do you use for outside? do you have to get certain ones for outside? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure she has the best life possible 😊

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:27 AM

Outdoors, any sort of basking lamp is fine as they get uvb from the sun, much better than any lamp. It must be protected from the weather though. The difference between here and the Med is that here they can’t warm their core to 30 degrees for long enough, so they need the choice of supplementary heat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users