• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

I made a new roof for Harry's house today; it was only supposed to take an hour or two, but took me about seven hours from beginning to end.

The original lasted five years, so I hope this one proves just as durable.

I'm now numb, wet and freezing  :sob:

newroof.jpg

Hope Harry likes it.

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:05 PM

I’m sure Harry will be grateful for your suffering Graham :) It looks fabulous, I’m sure it will last for years. I know all about underestimating time...........very off topic, but how long should it take to strip one step of the stairs by hand in an ancient old cottage. Not a week, that’s for sure, not sure what they used for paint or varnish in those days but I’m suffering now lol. X

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

Quite a number of tubs of elbow grease needed, Sue; been there, done it, bought the t-shirt. Depends on what you use actually, certainly would not recommend a heat gun on old wood; on two occasions I’ve known the wood to smoulder unnoticed, causing a potential fire hazard. I always use a chemical paint stripper; One-Shot is the best, but you need to wear gloves and a mask as it’s pretty potent. Even the toughest of paint practically falls off after an hour or so.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:49 AM

I made a new roof for Harry's house today; it was only supposed to take an hour or two, but took me about seven hours from beginning to end.

The original lasted five years, so I hope this one proves just as durable.

I'm now numb, wet and freezing  :sob:

newroof.jpg

Hope Harry likes it.

Hi Graham,

It looks great I'm sure Harry will be pleased, not nice having to do these jobs in this weather at the minute, I keep saying i'm going to start tiding their enclosure up but it's a bit cold for me yet. :lol: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users