Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

My 2 years old babies are now in the beginning of week 2 of windown (core temp under lamps reduced to 25-27 degrees today, before it was core temp of 30-32 degrees). I assumed they were done with pooing at end of week 1 as i did not see poop for a couple of days. However this morning one made a big dropping in the water. So far they have made 11 droppings between the 2 of them.

In terms of weight loss so far and as of this morning before bath, one has lost 3 gr (then pooped in water this morning), and the other one has lost 4 gr. That's 4-5% of their initial weight.

I am unsure whether they have empty guts as of today because one pooped this morning. Can they still do poo poo during week 2 when temps and lights will reduce?

Please how should I carry on?

Thank you

Sabina

#42 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:46 PM

Yes, that’s fine Sabina. The ideal is to empty the gut, but so long as the stomach is empty, that’s the critical thing. Any poop left in the end of the bowel is not so important as it will be totally digested and therefore safe. Sometimes the last bit pops out during the beginning of hibernation and is nothing to worry about. You’re doing great.

#43 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:41 PM

Hi after 2 weeks hibernating Tiddles has lost 4g. Is this normal. He was 126g before he went in fridge and went to 122g.
Amanda

#44 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

Amanda

In order to try to help and without disturbing your tortoise and the fridge while responding to the questions, please provide details on the following:

1.       Fridge type and whether the fridge is a larder fridge i.e. no freezer compartment

2.       Is your tortoise hibernating in a box which is in the fridge?

3.       What else is in the fridge apart from the hibernation box with the tortoise in it?

4.       In what kind of box is your tortoise hibernating in i.e. material, seize (height, width, depth), Any lid? Is lid with holes?

5.       What kind of substrate is in the box in which the tortoise is hibernating?

6.       How did you prepare the inside of the hibernation box (preparation of substrate?, any different layers?)

7.       How do you measure the temps inside the fridge? What kind of thermometer do you use?

8.       Temps in the fridge over the last two weeks? And how much the temps have varied? What are the current temps?

9.       Have you noticed any icing water/icing droplets in the fridge?

10.    Position of the box in the fridge? Is the box close to the back of the fridge or touching the back of the fridge? High in the fridge or low in the fridge?

11.    Whether there has been an opened container with water inside the fridge? How big is the container of water?

12.    How long the tortoise has settled with being touched / moved / lifted out of the box?

13.    Has the tortoise moved down into the substrate? Has it moved at all over the past two weeks?

14.    Whether you have noticed traces of urination when you took it out to weight it

15.    Whether the tortoise urinated when you lifted it out of the hibernation box to weight it

16.    Whether you see a poo dropping in the hibernation box

17.    When you weighted it yesterday, was it still/dormant or was it awake?

18.    Are you sure you weighted your tortoise accurately before getting it in the fridge? 

19.    Are you sure you weighted accurately your tortoise when you saw a drop of 4gr?

20.    What kind of scale do you use to weight your tortoise?

Thank you

#45 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

Hi sorry but we have a proper fridge only fo4 The tort in a plastic container no consen and he had been settled since week one really sorry for delay but h
0e seems happy x

#46 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:24 AM

Hi Amanda,

How's Tiddles doing,  :) 

#47 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

Hi Karen. Tiddles is doing well. He has 3 weeks left in hibernation. I'm really missing him now. I weighed him today and he is 122g so seems to have stabilised nicely. Feel more comfortable with the whole thing now. Thanks for asking Karen.
Amanda x

#48 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:38 AM

Hi Karen. Tiddles is doing well. He has 3 weeks left in hibernation. I'm really missing him now. I weighed him today and he is 122g so seems to have stabilised nicely. Feel more comfortable with the whole thing now. Thanks for asking Karen.
Amanda x

It's good to hear he's doing well.  :) 

#49 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

Hi Amanda,

I forgot to ask how the little one is doing now it's been on it's own for some time, has it started to gain some weight.  :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users