Hello..

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_wizzasmum_*

Guest_wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (markf @ Dec 3 2009, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what herpes issue is there at present then??

There has always been a risk with imported tortoises but recently more so. Initially I think it is the fault of the importer for being greedy but after they have entered the country the problem can be exacerbated by pet shops, dealers and anyone else handling the tortoises. As most of us have seen at some time, pet shop owners will often take a tortoise out to show people - I have never yet seen one go and wash their hands between species though. Problems can also arise in holding pens at customs etc and soon spread to the eventual new home. Even rehoming areas from long established tortoises should not be trusted due to the turnover of various tortoises in this area. Long term collections of tortoises have been and still are being wiped out by the spread of this disease. I will never add to my collection now because of the dangers to my own tortoises.
Have a look here http://www.tortoiset...rpeswarning.htm
Hope this helps

#22 Guest_clairiscrazy_*

Guest_clairiscrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

hiya welcome to the forum

be warned i started out with 1 tort and within 2 mnths 1 turned into 3..LOL.. they are lovely lil animals mine also came from petshop and luckily touchwood are doing really well had them for about 6mnths now and like so many on here im getting them ready for there first hibernation oh gawd nerve racking..lol..

on the downside a friend of mine bought a tort from a new pet shop 2 weeks ago and im sad to say it died last week along with the other 10 it was housed with in the shop her vet is doing a autopsy to find the cause of death and if the results are bad she is taking it further with the vet and will be reporting them as it turned out she was treating the torts before my friend bought hers so really the shop should not of sold her one.

(edited to add the poor tort was a horsefield not a hermann)

so please do be warned if you cant find a uk breeder and you do go to a pet shop there is a 50/50 chance your tort will be ill or fine.

xx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users