- - - - -

my biggest red eats atlast

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

hi guy my biggest red has been turning his nose up @ weeds ect .. been used to crappy dried food that last owner gave him ... and today yeah u guessed it hes eating his greens im so happy ( does a cartwheel round her front room ) screams out with joy "yipie"
thanks guys for all ur advise hes eating so much i dont know where hes putting it all hanks again to all ... p1glet darren ur help has been gr8 .... luv u all as do my 3 redfoots dont know what id have done with out u all :* :* :*
becky

#2 Guest_Darren_*

Guest_Darren_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

My mum always used to tell me to eat my greens, so i grow up to be a big strong boy. Am delighted he is eating, is'nt it nice harmony is restored at last, just need to see it out the other end now .. LOL

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:01 PM

That is good news, do you offer them any fruit at all?

#4 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:59 PM

yes sarah about 70% is weeds and the other 30% is fruit and veg i add different things every day apple orange letuce ect ect i try to change what i add every day .. is this right? or am i doing it wrong ?? thanks alot becky xxxx

#5 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

Hi Becky
Not to much citrus fruit it comdines with calcium in the digestive tract making the calcium unusable to the tortoise plus it can cause scouring(diohrea)
Darren

#6 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

thanks darren ive heard banannas arnt that gr8 either also carrot is that right ive only gave them orange once would it be better just to leave it out altogether thanks becky xxxxx
can any 1 advise me of what big no no food are for my torts ?? thanks again :*

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

Hi Becky
Redfoots have a wider food variety margine than most other tortoises as they are able to cope with a higher sugar content in there diet but this doesn't mean fruit can be fed at lib you need to control the intake , the best diet for yours would be
70% greens(weeds, romaine lettuce, florettes crispy salad mix)
30% fruit/veg(papaya,courgette,boiled carrot,occasional plum or other sweet fruit)all sprinkled with calcium carb.
Foods not to feed are citrus fruit( orange ,lime ,lemon ,pineapple)
Potatoes,bread, cheese,bananas(high in fats and phosphourus)
Foods that can be fed on occasion tomatoe,sweet pears,apple, mango,mushroom), these foods are high in phosphourus and low in calcium so when fed should be fed well sprinkled in calcium carbonate.
Protien, reds are slightly omnivorus in there diet so a small amount of protien is advisable but not nesseccary this can be in the form of hydrated cat biscuits or boiled chicken breast once monthly again well spinkled with calcium carbonate.
Darren

#8 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 03:38 PM

Hi Becky,
Thats great news your torty eating again, You must be doing something right.
I hardly ever feed my tortoises fruit, Only very now and again I will give them a strawberry, and they absolutly love them, I only do this once in a while though, Mainly feed just weeds from the garden or From the Herbiseed website. A lot of people on this forum uses it for their tortoises.
Have you got some? Its really good and a bag lasts for ages and it only take a few weeks to grow, And its got everything your tortoises will need Loads of different weed seeds.. The website is http://www.herbiseed.com
Have a look. :P

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
www.Testudo-hermanni-boettgeri.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#9 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

thanks guys xxxx wrote all that down and takein a look @ that site xxxx :*

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:14 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-03-06 AT 04:15 PM (GMT)]Red footed tortoises are different from med tortoises as in the wild they eat fruit, they also eat mushrooms and dead birds, worms, snails etc. I feed my red foots 50% green 50% fruit in winter with mushrooms once a week or every other week and boiled chicken every month.
In the summer i feed them 70% greens 30% fruit as more weeds (greens) are available.
My red foots love mushroom

Some fruits to feed your red foot
Papya
Mango
Plums
Pears
Mellon

Have a read of this

http://www.freewebs....secaresheet.htm
http://www.tortoiset...g_redfoots.html

#11 Guest_vwplaygirl_*

Guest_vwplaygirl_*