whats the best substrate for a leopard baby tortoise

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:18 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any input as to the best type of substrate for a baby leopard tortoise? I found a substrate made from ground up English Walnut shells that resembles large sand grains, but I wasn't sure if this might dehydrate him, irritate the little guy's eyes, or possibly be harmful if ingested.
I've had the hardest time finding a suitable substrate. I have used timothy hay and coconut fiber, and both seemed less than ideal. I've only had him for a short time and I believe that he was starting to suffer from an upper respitory infection, so I've upped his temperature to 95-100 degrees and kept his enclosure very dry. This is the advice I was given from a vet. So now I want to make sure that I give him the right care, which I greatly doubt that the pet farm where I bought him was giving him.
Also, I live in the States, so that wonderful aubiouse hemp bedding that everyone has been talking about is proving impossible to find. Any ideas where I can order it in the US?
Thanks for any help,

mariam

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:25 PM

Hi Miriam
I think people over your end use aspen wood chips in place of hemp i'm sure Dan will be able to help you locate a good supplier
Darren

#3 Guest_awnyerneas_*

Guest_awnyerneas_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:36 PM

Hi Darren,

Thanks for the advice. Aspen wood chips, huh. Didn't think about that. Anyway, thanks for replying to my postings thus far.
Mariam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users