Help Post Hibernation Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Exotic gardening, tropical fish keeping and of course my Hermann Tortoise (Darwin)

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

Hi everyone, I havent posted since my Darwin came out of his first hibernation with great success last year, however, he came out of the fridge yesterday and all appeared normal, all weights checked throughout and only a small weight loss over the 12 weeks, he seemed fine and I presumed he was just going to start up again like last year, he had his head out looking around once he started to warm up, had a bath and then looked happy stretched out sunbathing under his lamp but was not at all interested in food, I just presumed that he was going to take a bit longer to get going but today after digging him up as he had partially buried himself he wont come out of his shell, I struggled to give him his morning bath so kept it Really shallow then popped him under his lamp thinking he is just being a bit tired, he is awake as his eyes are open and he does react when touched but just not active at all, I ended up having to move him out from under the lamp as he was feeling really warm. Does anyone know why he is being like this? Have tried tempting him with bits of food in front of him but he just pulls in more.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated as I am starting to get worried,
Thanks

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the 12 Universal Laws.

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

Do you also have plenty of light in the enclosure in addition to heat lamp?

#3 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Exotic gardening, tropical fish keeping and of course my Hermann Tortoise (Darwin)

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

Yes, it’s a mercury vapour lamp (mega ray 160watt) it’s the only type of bulb I ever use as never had a problem with them.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:36 PM

Are the temps in the room warm? To be honest it’s still early days. It can take a few days before he is interested in food and not every year is the same. Did he gain any weight from bathing him? Keep up the warm baths until he gets the idea he’s now awake. The fact that he’s withdrawing is not a bad sign. It would be worse if he was lethargic and had legs and head out of his shell. Give him a couple of days and get back to us if things don’t improve. He might benefit from a soak in critical care formula, but it’s too early for this yet. Good luck!

#5 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, that is reassuring, to be honest I didn’t weigh him after his bath but will from now on temporarily, will be back with an update tomorrow, thanks again

#6 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Sorry, forgot to add, yes the room temps are warm, around 20c daytime and down to about 16c at night, he is in the spare room in an enclosure where he stays TIL it gets warm later in spring.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 February 2018 - 08:24 PM

All sounds perfectly normal. We’re here if you need help though.

#8 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

Thank you

#9 Vicmurg

Vicmurg

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

Advice much appreciated and followed, warm baths done (3 of them today), he started much more alert midday and He has just had a good go at his food and ate very well!..... so relieved..... thanks once agin for the advice and reassurance, you guys on here are amazing.
Thanks once again

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

I’ve just got two up and they are not interested either. I’m not worried as it’s early in the year and they went down early, so it’s a bit out of the ordinary for them. Tucked up like two little pies they are, but I’m betting by the weekend they will be driving me crazy lol Glad yours is ok, he’s probably wondering what’s wrong with these daft humans who don’t realise it’s only February lol.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users