Photo
- - - - -

Greetings From A Very Proud Hermann Owner.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:I am a proud owner of two hermann tortoises, Archie aged 6 and Dolly aged 3. I also have a bearded dragon which we rescued called Spike and a cockatiel we called Bubbles, who we affectionately refer to as Bubba Boy..

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

Good afternoon from Me and my two beautiful Hermann tortoises, Archie and Dolly. I have been a proud owner of tortoises for approximately 4 years now after wanting a tortoise all my life. 

I remember it was just after my birthday, having done all my research and buying all the kit, that I walked into the shop ready to buy a tortoise. I did not choose which tortoise I wanted, I was in fact chosen by a certain cheeky male who despite all the others took it upon himself to come to the glass and check me out for suitability. He continued to follow me as I moved my face each side of the vivarium. From that moment on I just knew we had chosen each other. That was how Archie came to be in my life.

​Archie and myself went a few years living harmoniously along side my bearded dragon "Spike" and my Cockatiel "Bubbles". I had always wanted another tortoise or 3 but the time had not seemed right. That was until one day when I was actually at work and supporting somebody to buy some new fish. While the person I was with went of to the aquatics section I snuck off too look at the reptiles. 

Low and behold there was a set of 3 year old Hermann tortoises in store. I noticed that there was one that was larger than the rest who I was told was the only female of the bunch. I knew that mixing a male and a female could be a recipe for disaster but as there is always someone at home and the fact I have two vivariums I knew it would be manageable. So without a hesitation I reserved the tortoise who I would name Dolly.

I went back the next day and took Dolly home. Luckily the house has remained a harmonious one and I consider myself lucky as not only do all the animals get along, but Archie does not seem to be too interested in Dolly and would rather follow me and sit on my lap.  Unfortunately Archie does has pyramiding of his shell, as I was miss informed by the shop that the dried pellets which they heavily promoted were good for tortoises. So naturally in my ignorance I thought they knew best. Dolly also has early signs, but now as I know better, both are on a strict fresh green leafy diet.

I have a strong belief that animals should roam free, so as I write this Bubbles has flown and landed on my laptop, both Archie and Dolly have full run of my lounge area during the colder months and can access the UV and heat lamp as they please.

Anyways I know I have written quite a lot and well done to those who have made it this far.

I will attach a photo of both Archie and Dolly.

Lee

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:54 PM

hi welcome to the forum. :)

archie and dolly are lovely.

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hi, and welcome to the forum from me too. :wave:  

It looks like you've been well and truely hit by the tortoise bug! ;)

#4 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:I am a proud owner of two hermann tortoises, Archie aged 6 and Dolly aged 3. I also have a bearded dragon which we rescued called Spike and a cockatiel we called Bubbles, who we affectionately refer to as Bubba Boy..

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Oh I certainly have been well and truly bitten. They are such incredibly fascinating creatures and Archie in particular is so funny and friendly. He follows me around the garden or the house and climbs up my legs when I sit on the floor to sleep on my lap. This may sound strange but he also like his shell by his bottom rubbed, to the extent he goes up on tippy toe, stretches his head out and wiggles from side to side... :D 

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Welcome to the forum Lee, they look lovely tortoises, I hope you have plans to share loads of photographs with us x x hugs x x

#6 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hi Lee,
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. Nice to hear about your wonderful torts Archie and Dolly. Hope you enjoy your stay.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Sundayboy

Sundayboy

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

I want to thank everybody for you kind words and support so far. It is reassuring that everyone is so nice as I have registered with other unnamed tortoise sites before and found other members standoffish, quick to criticize but do not offer advice or support. In answer to Stella's question I will indeed happily share more photos as I have some very interesting ones indeed.  :rolleyes: 

#8 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Hello Lee

Archie and dolly are beautiful, looking forward to seeing lots of pictures,let's hope the sun shines soon so we can seen our torts wandering about outside.

Jaynex

#9 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hi, Lee, and welcome to the forum  :welcome:

You'll find we're a friendly crowd here, and are always willing to help if you have any questions; just ask, and we'll do our best.

Archie and Dolly are lovely, and it's great to see pics of them; please keep them coming!

Let's hope the Spring breaks through soon so we can all share pictures of our beloved pets enjoying the great outdoors!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users