Diet Hermann Help Vet Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ripzay_*

Guest_ripzay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

Hi All

We had an friend stay over last night and she thought it would be a brilliant idea to feed my partner's tortoise some of her cheese sandwich while we were in bed this morning (god knows why).

We are obviously worried by this (dairy, processed sugars in bread etc.) and wondered if anyone had any advice they could give, as we have never fed him anything like this, we don't know what will happen, or if he will need to see a vet.

She says he ate approx 6cm square of the cheese and bread.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Regards

Ben

#2 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi Ben

I wouldn't worry too much, although not ideal I am sure he will be ok and probably throughly enjoyed it. Bread etc is a no no however I have a neighbour and his tortoise is over 60 years old (don't know the breed) and as a treat often has a strawberry jam sandwich and has done all his life!!

I would just give him a nice bath and keep an eye on him..

Jeanette

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

Cheese contains animal proteins which are bad for hermanns so I would avoid doing this in future. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_Lynne_*

Guest_Lynne_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:35 PM

My 40 year tortoise Toby used to be fed wet bread all the time by his previous owners. He doesn't have it since he has been with me though.

#5 Guest_meimnot76_*

Guest_meimnot76_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:57 PM

I was talking to a friend of mine just this week, they have a tortoise thats over 60 yers old...she's been on a staple diet of soaked bread, lettuce, tomatoes and pasta for years now!!! I tried persuading her that torts do not eat this in the wild...but honestly, after all these years eating that stuff, I really didn't have a case.

Dont' worry about it...just don't let your friend near your tort ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diet, Hermann, Help, Vet, Problem

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users