Outdoor Enclosure In The Planning.....

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

LOL!!! I think he's also loving the readigrass that I've put in his house to snuggle into!!! Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Think I may have to get some ;)

#43 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

Here's Norman enjoying the sunshine yesterday in his outdoor enclosure (now that he can finally make some use of it! ;) )

:yay:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hi Kelly,
Norman looks great in his outdoor enclosure. :) Nice to see him enjoying the sunshine. :D Thanks for sharing. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#45 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Here are Norman and Hazel today, enjoying the great outdoors :)

P5071798_zps3bcc1271.jpg

P5071797_zpse939bb32.jpg

#46 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

Lovely picture Kelly of Norman and Hazel. That pansy flower looks huge compared with Hazel. It is lovely to see them enjoying the sun x x hugs x x

#47 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

Yeah! They both look great, Kelly. Billiejo is enjoying the sunshine too, bless her!
Best Wishes
Freddy

#48 run2col

run2col

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Torts
    German Shepherds
    Reading
    Gardening
    House work

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

Hi, this is my first visit to this site and I have been reading for the last 3 hours!

I have been such an IDIOT - Here is my story in short.

I bought 2 Hermann Torts last year Bill and Ben. There were three in the Viv so one was left all alone so when I rang the pet shop owner 2 days later and  she told me the other one was still there I went to fetch it.  Little Weed.

I have a large Viv. with all the trimmings. All the items the lady said we would need to have healthy Torts. Ya Right ! 

I have been looking on the web for help. Not knowing when to put them out indeed if they can go outside at all.

I have bought different things for the outside area in fact I have bought the same house as you have of e-bay. 

We have all the things ready and a lovely area for them to go.

This brought me to your site. I felt sick as I love my babys very much. I spend hours and hours playing with them i.e. bathing feeding moving things around so they do not get bored. Then I discover I am not keeping them right. You can imagine how I feel.

So thats my story, sad as it is. 

I am now going to sell the Viv and buy a large Table top type.

I love all the information on this site and in turn its led me to other useful info on feeding. (fresh plants).

I will be on here learning and hopefully this will make me a better Tortoise mom, to Bill Ben and Little weed. (think they are about 2 years old)

Little Weed and Bill turned out to be girls and Ben is very happy as he is the boy LOL x

Speak soon and a big THANK YOU 

#49 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

You're not the first and certainly won't be the last to listen to pet shop advice. Don't beat yourself up about it though.... at least you have done your research now and can see where you have been going wrong. :)

Many keepers out there don't bother and blindly follow this advice without ever questioning it.... they then wonder a few years down the line, why they have sick tortoises. :(

#50 run2col

run2col

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
    German Shepherds
    Reading
    Gardening
    House work

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

You're not the first and certainly won't be the last to listen to pet shop advice. Don't beat yourself up about it though.... at least you have done your research now and can see where you have been going wrong. :)

Many keepers out there don't bother and blindly follow this advice without ever questioning it.... they then wonder a few years down the line, why they have sick tortoises. :(

Thank you Kelly.

Been busy all day as my husband is making an indoor table. I want to get them moved as soon as possible.

I put them out today just for an hour whilst the sun shone. They hid in their new house. But at least they have had some fresh air.

They are back in the Viv now but I have got it open at the front at each end about four inches and protected the gape so they can't climb out.

I have read that they need to visit the vet to be wormed before they go out is this correct do you think? also to have their nails trimmed if needed.

Thanks Gillian

#51 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

I have read that they need to visit the vet to be wormed before they go out is this correct do you think? also to have their nails trimmed if needed.

Many of us get our torts tested here http://wormcount.com/tortoises.html.

They'll advise you then whether or not you need to take your tortoise to the vets to get them wormed. :)

#52 run2col

run2col

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts
    German Shepherds
    Reading
    Gardening
    House work

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thank you will check out the web page. x