Growing weeds and plants indoors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gaelle_*

Guest_gaelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:36 AM

Sorry if this has already been treated.

I am getting ready still, and ordered some seeds that i'm going to start growing before I get my little darling.
Couple of very practical questions :

>What do you plant them in? trays, pots? What soil do you use, normal compost?
>How do you "manage" them? Do you place the trays directly in the table for the tortoise to help itself and swap the trays when they are half eaten...? Do you just cut a selection each day? If so, do you feed everything (stem, flower) or just the leaves?
Please tell me every detail, just like a was very very dumb!!

About ornemental plants. I've seen a lot of you guys grow them directly in the table. It's looks brilliant!
How hard is it to keep them alive in there?
I've seen some Hebes and Heathers on your pictures. Will the torts not eat those then?
Is it safe to place cacti in there as well? What about succulents, will they eat them?
How do you water them without ruining your table?

All tips most welcome!

x

#2 Guest_lilacgeorge_*

Guest_lilacgeorge_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

I'm afraid this is one that I'm not experienced in as have never grown weeds indoors and haven't exactly been successful outdoors either! rolleyes.gif

BUT I do know that you are better of using 'crap' soil as opposed to nice fresh soil - hence why weeds grow in overgrown and unkept places - I was told by a gardner that the reason I'd been unsuccessful in growing this was because I'd used compost/topsoil bought from garden centres which is of good quality!

Catus and succulents are fine, most people use trays and swap them once the weeds have been eaten/trampled!

With regards to watering...well someone else will have to answer that! I assume - or what I'd do - is water the tray before placing it in the table then maybe mist them with water?

#3 Guest_kaybee_*

Guest_kaybee_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hi Gaelle,

I grow weeds for the tort table, however I grow them in trays and change them as and when needed. I grow the weeds in a top soil/sand mix - same as the rest of the substrate and keep the trays in a little plastic type greenhouse in the garden. I water the trays every other day, but dont drown them!
When they are grown enough for eating the tray gets slotted into the table. I do water the tray a little every evening when my babies have gone to bed as the lights and heat of the table tend to dry them out a bit quick otherwise!

I have also planted mini Hebe's in the table which are not poisonous although they dont eat them anyway! Again these are watered whilst in the table but not too wet or they will rot.

My table is built to snuggly house 6 large seed trays that fit tight together so I can remove each tray to clean substrate or add plants etc without having to do the whole table at once! (the soil is about 4 inches deep)

Campanula's grow well in the table also, and they love to eat that especially the flowers!

I guess when it really gets cold outside I will grow the weeds in trays on the kitchen window sill!

Also - just one more thing happy.gif The seeds from Tort-n-all-sorts on ebay seem to grow the best wink.gif

Sorry for waffling! tongue.gif

#4 Guest_gaelle_*

Guest_gaelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

Oh not at all, thanks for all the info, very useful! biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Hello there,

I wasn't very successful at growing weeds in trays, I tried last winter in the kitchen windowsill but ended up with scrappy bits of weeds no better than threads of cotton! blush.gif

This year I started a small weed patch in my garden.. which turned to two... and then three!! I have let everything in them grow wild and when the flowers turned to seeds I have collected those and sprinkled them in too. If I find a weed I don't have I dig it up, take it home, and plant it. They don't usually last but they have several times, seeded... I collect those and I'm off again!! I only use the rubbish soil in the garden, weeds thrive in poor soil. Other bought soils may contain nutrients that then goes into the plants, and then we feed these to our little guys... who knows the effect of this?

Paula x

#6 Guest_gaelle_*

Guest_gaelle_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

Well, if I don't manage to grow the seeds now, what am I going to feed my new guy when I get him (hopefully next month)?? Panicking a bit now as I haven't had time to start sowing outside and it may be too late anyway? Do the weeds survive the winter period, I kow they're meant ot be hardy, but still, you rarely see dandelions around at christmas!

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

There are weeds around in winter although they are obviously more scare. Hettie was overwintered and I managed to find weeds all winter.... a quick walk, and big collect, when snow was due!! You could still sow seeds outside now, they will be up before you know it!!

When you are out walking now, take note of where they are growing. Try and find as many different sites as you can. Church yards are good.

When you see winter pansies come into the garden centre you could get some of those in ready? Have a look in the edible plant section and see if there are any you recognise as winter ones?

Any suggestions guys?

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users