• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ColinWhite

ColinWhite

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

Hello you helpful lot. I have build my own tortoise table myself with my daughter as we are looking into buying one in the near future (once the home is 100% complete). I keep getting mixed messages regarding heat mats, I was thinking of having one on the floor of the "house" up one end controlled by a stat & also a uva/uvb combined lamp up the other end with the water bowl (or swimming pool as my daughter keeps calling it). My tort home has a separate bedroom with a removable roof for hiding. I'm looking to cover the floor in soil due to seeing post about sand being bad for getting in the tort eyes and i also know that over night all heating and lights are to be switched off.

Does this sound like I've researched and taking in all information that will lead to my tort having a healthy and good life.

Looking forward to hearing feedback (both pros and cons) as I'm keen to get it finished and go and purchase our first tortoise

#2 ColinWhite

ColinWhite

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

Built not build!

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

Basically heat mats are a no no with all tortoises. Heat should come from above as in nature. Tortoises need a cool area to go to at will and their natural way to do this is to leave the basking and well lit area, again the same as they would in nature. If this area then has a heat mat in place it won't allow the tortoise to cool down properly. You don't need a bedroom as again tortoises naturally dig down into the substrate to thermoregulate. This behaviour also helps with smooth growth, preventing dehydration. You will find that when tortoises are not allowed to do this theywill drink a lot, which naturally they don't do. Avoid most pet shop advice as the majority of the stuff they will advise you to buy is unnecessary. Always think of what the tortoise would experience in the wild and you won't go far wrong. Also, do buy your tortoise from a breeder to avoid the increasingly unfit tortoises available from the commercial pet trade.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:42 AM

Hello you helpful lot. I have build my own tortoise table myself with my daughter as we are looking into buying one in the near future (once the home is 100% complete). I keep getting mixed messages regarding heat mats, I was thinking of having one on the floor of the "house" up one end controlled by a stat & also a uva/uvb combined lamp up the other end with the water bowl (or swimming pool as my daughter keeps calling it). My tort home has a separate bedroom with a removable roof for hiding. I'm looking to cover the floor in soil due to seeing post about sand being bad for getting in the tort eyes and i also know that over night all heating and lights are to be switched off.

Does this sound like I've researched and taking in all information that will lead to my tort having a healthy and good life.

Looking forward to hearing feedback (both pros and cons) as I'm keen to get it finished and go and purchase our first tortoise

Hi Colin, welcome to the forum. :) 

It sounds like your doing a great job ( and your daughter ) as Sue has already gave you some great information I just thought I would welcome you and say any questions you have just ask, if your unsure of any breeders in your area just let us know and we might be able to help with this. :) 

#5 ColinWhite

ColinWhite

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thank you for your help and support. I just thought the bedroom part would be somewhere for the tortoise to go as if it was in a cave. I would like to know if there were any breeders around the area of PO10 as I was looking at getting one from a localism pet store that has been recommended to me

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

It's a common mistake to make, especially as most commercial table tops have them. Pet shops rarely know much about tortoises, other than what they have been trained to say to make a sale, often very convincingly. This lady is a recognised breeder in your area, so I'd ask her if she has any available before buying an import, it could save you a lot of money in the long run. Hampshire - Arlene Mitchel - tillytortoise@hotmail.com 07814 117655
Good luck :)

#7 ColinWhite

ColinWhite

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:26 PM

Thanks again, I have emailed Arlene so hopefully will get a reply tomorrow

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

Thanks again, I have emailed Arlene so hopefully will get a reply tomorrow

Fingers crossed. If she doesn't have anything available, we can probably find someone else near to you. Good luck :)

#9 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

Hi Colin

I have added a link with some basics on husbandry for Hermann tortoises and that I provided about 3 months ago on the forum. It is about enclosure, substrate, food, supplement, hydration, poop & urates, thermometer, daily cleaning of enclosure etc. You might find it useful for your daily routine with the baby tortoise you plan to acquire.

http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=9676

If you have not bought a heat lamp yet, the recommended brand is Megaray. 

The bulb to buy is a 100MW that provides UV + HEAT together +  the dome which directs all the heat and UV down into the enclosure for optimal input. Megaray sells the two together Link: http://www.megaray.c...-kit-p-561.html

Here is the link of a very good recommended book to pick the right weeds and flowers that grow in the UK and are edible.

http://www.tlady.clara.net/id16.htm

Also a link if you are interested to grow various pants and flowers for your tortoise, it is a special mix based on what torts eat in their natural land in the Med. But if you grow, Tortoises have to eat fully grown weeds, not young plants/shoots.

http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

Also a fantastic book on how to keep tortoises in a naturalistic way. This book help the keepers to understand tortoises and how to let them be and live like tortoises.

Please could you post some pictures of your enclosure?

Please if you have any questions on what do put in the enclosure for enrichment and stimulation, the set-up and where things should be positioned etc., don't hesitate to ask.

Also when your baby tortoise arrives, please do not hesitate to ask questions about temperature, food quantity, behaviour etc.

Thank you

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users