- - - - -

Feeding Frenzy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:39 PM

Here is a photo of some of my Spur thigh hatchlings having a good feast on some greens, now if anyone questions, is that type of food good for them? well I have fed them appropriate weeds (for the first 4 months of their life) from my garden, neigbouring gardens, local fields, just about everywhere I could find!!! I have a large amount of food to find for them and this time of year weeds are sparse around these parts (I have picked it all!) :D. The point I am trying to make is, If you only have 1 or 2 Torts (especially young ones) you should be able to find weeds for them all year round, but if not then certain foods are ok...T.T.

#2 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

well put i try and find weeds for all my babies but is hard to find them. Great picture:-) :-)

#3 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:49 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-02-06 AT 08:50 PM (GMT)]Wow tt thought that was a picture of mine for a minute yeah totally understand i spend most of the daylight hours searching for weeds like you i have picked most of them luckly though i found a good patch of bitter cress growing in an old parrot enclosure at work should last a day or two.
how many ibera have you bred
Darren

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

That picture is amazing honey, wonderful torts.:)

#5 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:15 PM

Thanks omare for your kind words...T.T.

#6 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:36 PM

Cheers Darren, The time I spend searching for weeds is unbelievable!, It is a good thing that I am self employed other wise I would no doubt be sacked, because when I am out and about and come across some, I can just pick away!...Last year I had a fantastic season (well for Iberas, and finally Hermanns too) all 3 females laid 2 big clutches each, almost 100% fertile, 50 of the blighters! My Females are big though, 3 kilos/6.6lbs and over 30 years. Now if I can just get fertile eggs from my Graeca graecas, I will be very happy...T.T.

#7 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

• Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:12 PM

What a bunch of nutters we must look, scouring the countyside for that elusive sow thistle, clutching our plastic bags, hoping to get lucky!!! roll on spring/summer, I know were there are giant dandelions as far as the eye can see!!! well not that far!!! ;) ...T.T.

#8 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:58 AM

They look great T.T. and 50 of the little nutters. Excellent job :7 . But it's so fun to be picking weeds and growing them in your yard to annoy the neighbors with lawns :D .
Dan

#9 Guest_ossypete_*

Guest_ossypete_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

i go picking weeds in the local nature reserve and can see people giving me funny looks , then i have to explain i have tortoises , and they loo at you even stranger !!!

#10 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:20 PM

HI TT im a bit of a picking nutter,every time im out even my friends gardens get a good plucking great stuff.jeff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users