• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Animals
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

Hi,

I am starting to think about constructing the outdoor enclosure for herbie. I am looking at putting in a mini shed or similar for bad weather and also that I could fit a basking light into. What would you say is the minimum height I should be looking for to enable a basking light to be put in it. I have seen  on ebay a product I think may work I cant seem to put the link on here but if anybody has time to go on ebay type in hillcroft fencing and then look at the large dog/cat kennel with window I would love to hear opinions :)

My only thought is would the window and a basking lamp make it too hot if the sun was strong - as I work some of the day I wouldn't necessarily always be about to monitor it. Also does it have to be a lamp or could I maybe use a ceramic heater set on a thermostat which would mean it shouldn't get too hot - would love all suggestions etc as currently in planning stage (I don't have electric supply yet!!) but would prefer not to spend lots of money on something that is not going to be right :unsure:

#2 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:05 PM

Just realised I didn't actually say that this would just be the enclosed bit of outdoor accommodation - am hoping to have an area of 8' x 4' initially (although whilst herbie is still so small I may only give him half to start with so I don't lose him and grow weeds and plants in the rest) probably made with decking boards and having a mesh top. Have just seen another that might work on ebay through paulspackages, it is the small dog kell with patio - was thinking that if the patio was enclosed with a piece of Perspex with a door cut into it this may work??!

#3 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

Yes it should work, provided you had a door he could use to outside. You would need him to be able to see light, to get him up and moving, so window will be fine. I use Perspex cat flaps for mine and little Perspex sheets for the smaller ones.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:04 AM

Hi Vikki,

I've had a look is it these your talking about as this is what came up when I put it into ebay. :)    http://www.ebay.co.u...=item259f4cf17f, I can't find the other one your talking about through paulspackages.

Some thing along these lines will work well for a small tortoise, the only thing I would say is not much natural light will get in, so you may need a bright light in there instead of a ceramic, im quite lucky really as my husband makes every thing for me so it's purpose made for what I need. :)

#5 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

Hi, thanks for comments it is just getting ideas at the moment. I may be able to make my own(with a little help from my brother in law who is a carpenter!!) but trying to work out best design. The link you have put is one of them - wish I was more computer savvy, I tried getting a link up for ages!!

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi Vikki,
I've had a look is it these your talking about as this is what came up when I put it into ebay. :)    http://www.ebay.co.u...=item259f4cf17f, I can't find the other one your talking about through paulspackages.
Some thing along these lines will work well for a small tortoise, the only thing I would say is not much natural light will get in, so you may need a bright light in there instead of a ceramic, im quite lucky really as my husband makes every thing for me so it's purpose made for what I need. :)

Yes, totally agree you need bright light to get them up and running in the morning. My son in law is a carpenter and has just made me a beautiful dove cote, can't wait to get it up onto the pole now :)
One thing I will mention when making your. Hide Area is to make. Sure the entrance is at ground level as many have tried using ramps etc. these don't work well as tortoises do not naturally go higher to look for overnight quarters, but dig down, so ramps are usually used as mini hides, which defeats the object.

#7 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hmmmm sorry for ipad typos :(

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Hmmmm sorry for ipad typos :(

There a nightmare at times my phone does the same. :unsure2:

#9 JerryMaffz

JerryMaffz

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

Hi Vikki...If you make your own version you might want to consider using this perspex..http://www.plasticst...ylic-Sheet.aspx ..It has the benefit of letting UV through (normal perspex doesn't)..I just purchased some to make a litttle coldframe for Jerry. Excellent service from this company and they will cut it to any size.

#10 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for all the help as I say at the moment I am I in planning stage but all of this advice is great. Thanks keith for the link ref perspex that sounds great as although herbie would be able to go in and out at will it would be good if he could still get uv through this and then a normal spot basking lamp should be ok. My head is full of ideas but need to check they are on the right lines and can be implemented. Had the electrician around today and getting an electric supply outside could prove tricky  so that may be a bit of a technical hitch!!

#11 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

If you are using the uvb transmissible Perspex for the whole housing area, it's a great idea, but not worth it just for windows as the amount of time one window would get direct sunlight, really wouldn't justify the extra expense. Tortoises always leave their hides once warmed from the lamps whatever the weather, where they will get far more uvb from the sun, even on dull days. I did use it some years ago for a cover for my hatchlings outdoor area for bad weather periods. I was surprised how soon it discoloured for something so expensive. I did wonder how long it was guaranteed to be uvb transmissible and if the passage of uvb became lower with time, the same as uvb tubes!

#12 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

Hi vikki, I used the UVB Perspex for part of the roof of Tort Lodge. Like Sue says, it could not be cost effective. I found it was a great theory, but in reality the torts were outside most of the time and only went indoors to sleep. I found that even in poor weather my torts wanted to be outside. I guess you need to consider how much time you are expecting your tort to be inside. Given my time again, I wouldn't use the UVB x x x hugs x x

#13 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

What I found Stella, was that nobody wanted to answer questions about it once I had bought it, which was a bit disconcerting :(

#14 vikki01

vikki01

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
    Countryside
    Walking
    Reading

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:36 PM

Thanks I did have a look at it and was a bit taken back by the price - I was thinking of covering a small area (perhaps 2 foot long of the eight foot length with a roof area in case of bad weather and would probably put it next to hide area to provide a bit of protection to this area particularly as I do work so wouldn't always be available if the weather changed. If it isn't very effective then I would maybe use ordinary Perspex or similar at much less the cost.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users