• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:31 PM

I have a 17 week hatchling 16g for the last 5 weeks. has good heat and sun lamp stopped eating 3days ago before that wouldn't stop and was very active now just wants to stay in hide I have 3 very old tortoises asleep outside as they do every year and the hatchling looks to me that it's trying to hibernate should I keep heat lamp on? the hide is away from it and no point in leaving sun lamp on sorry this is so long but our 1st hatchling so want to get it right. Should mention have tried bath and heat up no different thanks thanks

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:59 PM

Has someone sold you this hatchling or is it one of your own bred babies? It’s roughly the size of a newly hatched baby for a hermanni, which should be bigger than this by now. How are you keeping it i.e. heat levels, uvb, substrate, supplementation and feeding. At this size it certainly shouldn’t be behaving this way. Make sure the heat is up to 32 degrees with the option of moving out of the heat. Remove the hide as these are not good for hatchlings, they are better digging into the substrate to thermoregulate, often they will stay in hides as there isn’t enough stimulation to wake in the morning. Do you have pics at all?
  • Djs likes this

#3 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

Thanks we had 3 eggs we tried last year this year lucky one hatched
Temp 32-33 and 20 when ceramic light goes of that's on a
Pulse thermostat I'm using reptile uvb 100 lamp
Thinking of changing to a mega ray in the table I have half dirt half Co core I think they called it
Only ever eaten weeds with calci-dust most days doesn't like it also nutrobal hats that always check if safe food
Bath every day under the lamp. Happy for any advice
Thanks Dave

#4 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Could send a picture if I new how 😐

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thanks we had 3 eggs we tried last year this year lucky one hatched
Temp 32-33 and 20 when ceramic light goes of that's on a
Pulse thermostat I'm using reptile uvb 100 lamp
Thinking of changing to a mega ray in the table I have half dirt half Co core I think they called it
Only ever eaten weeds with calci-dust most days doesn't like it also nutrobal hats that always check if safe food
Bath every day under the lamp. Happy for any advice
Thanks Dave

Are you using a ceramic lamp for heat? You need very bright light to encourage mobility in hatchlings and an interest in food. Don’t use thermostats as these just cause confusion, you need a permanent bright hot spot, same as in nature. If using separate heat and uvb, you need a uvb tube as the plug in uvb is not much use other than to brighten dark corners. Sounds as though your problem might be insufficient light levels. What did the baby weigh on hatching? Megaray are excellent but won’t work on a stat. Stats are only any use for incubation, not general keeping. Are you keeping the substrate moist? Try Nekton MSA for little ones, it’s much better than other preparations and use it daily, not sporadically. Hope this helps.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

Could send a picture if I new how

Click on quote to reply, then click on More reply options and add pics from those saved on your pc, iPad or phone

#7 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

Click on quote to reply, then click on More reply options and add pics from those saved on your pc, iPad or phone

#8 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

#9 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:36 PM

Tortoise was 10g when 1st hatched as I said above I have a ceramic lamp with pulse thermostat keeps perfect temperature I only got the screw in uvb bulb after a lot of googling I think I will change that to a mega ray thanks for your help think I was panicking to much this after noon came out eat a lot I did take hide out and she has gone underground couldn't find more options on reply?

#10 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:09 PM

Tortoise was 10g when 1st hatched as I said above I have a ceramic lamp with pulse thermostat keeps perfect temperature I only got the screw in uvb bulb after a lot of googling I think I will change that to a mega ray thanks for your help think I was panicking to much this after noon came out eat a lot I did take hide out and she has gone underground couldn't find more options on reply?

Thats the problem though Djs you dont want a static temperature and you need to remove the ceramic bulb and use a very bright light basking bulb. Ceramic lamps are no good for tortoises. The heat needs to be on constantly and not going on and off with a star. Thats why the little one is hiding away.
At the bottom of the reply box on the right hand side, next to post, is a little box with the wordsMore Reply Options in. If you click on that you will be able to add a pic. It will open a new box where it says Choose File

Attached Files

#12 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:44 PM

Sorry there's no wordsmore but thanks I get what you mean about ceramic and will try mega ray I thought the ceramic would have been better again some times there's to much info out there thanks again Dave

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:59 PM

Sorry there's no wordsmore but thanks I get what you mean about ceramic and will try mega ray I thought the ceramic would have been better again some times there's to much info out there thanks again Dave

When you get confused with all the conflicting advice out there, always think of what they would have in nature, so bright light, like the sun, all heat from above, cool overnight, deep substrate to dig down into and moisture overnight, as in the dew on the ground. Hopefully youre using open topped accommodation and not a Viv, as again thats not consistent with good health. This is one of my 15 week babies and this is how I rear them www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm Good luck :)

Attached Files

#14 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:43 AM

When you get confused with all the conflicting advice out there, always think of what they would have in nature, so bright light, like the sun, all heat from above, cool overnight, deep substrate to dig down into and moisture overnight, as in the dew on the ground. Hopefully youre using open topped accommodation and not a Viv, as again thats not consistent with good health. This is one of my 15 week babies and this is how I rear them www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm Good luck :)

Attached Files

#15 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 08:45 AM

At last I was using iPhone that was the he problem the s is my set up we got there

#16 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:42 PM

At last I was using iPhone that was the he problem the s is my set up we got there

Its clear from the pic that its a light problem. Those ceramic heaters are only any good for very cold areas o ernight, not for house use except with lizards etc. The baby needs to be able to see the light source rather than feel it. In the wild with light levels similar to your setup he would be going into hibernation mode. You could do with a megaray 100 watt bulb with ceramic fitting and shade to increase light levels. Im sure you will see a difference immediately. You definitely need to ditch the stat too, very confusing to little ones especially. Is the shell nice and hard?

#17 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

There is 100w uvb lamp there goes on at 7.30am next to ceramic very hard shell looks in nice condition looking on posts a lot of owners having same problem thanks

#18 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Yes it’s a common problem at this time of year due to low light levels. The basking bulb is good but not as a high light output, that needs to be uvb. What is your uvb source?

#19 Djs

Djs

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

It's 100w uvb ?

#20 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

Is it a screw in? You need a tube. Wattage isn’t important but needs to be at least 10% uvb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users