Pest Killed My Dandelions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 29 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

Hello everyone
Some black dotty things killed my dandelions in the section where I was growing them. These black dots are on the base of the dandelions and when I took some on my fingertips they are full of blood, gross!
What is this alien thing????

Thanks
Sabina

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:53 AM

Hello everyone
Some black dotty things killed my dandelions in the section where I was growing them. These black dots are on the base of the dandelions and when I took some on my fingertips they are full of blood, gross!
What is this alien thing????

Thanks
Sabina

Sorry I can't help with this one, hopefully Graham or Sue will see this they'll know.  :)

#3 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 30 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

Hi, Sabina; what you’re describing is a species of aphid, they’ve had a successful year because of the warm weather. I don’t know if they’re toxic to tortoises, but I don’t think I’d take the chance. Cut the dandelions right back to the roots, they will grow again, and the coming winter weather should see the aphids off. With tortoises slowing down in readiness to hibernate now, it’s unlikely they’d eat them anyway, but if yours are still munching, I’d give them shop-bought lamb’s lettuce instead.
Hope this is of some help.

#4 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:12 PM

Thanks a lot Graham I will do that. The other weed types have not been attacked, so there is still plenty of safe food stock.

Sabina

#5 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 01 October 2018 - 07:06 PM

I agree with Graham. I’d give them Florette crispy, which includes lambs lettuce too. This hot summer has meant that a lot of plants have suffered. I’m finding that late dandelions and plantain are very brittle, not like the usual October weeds :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users