• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:13 PM

Hi this will be my first year hibernating one of my babies. Tiddles has just went 1 in July. I have 2 babies but only hibernating the bigger of the 2 as the little one has some cathching up to do with her weight after a blip where Tiddles was bullying her.
Just wondering which fridge would be best and which ones people use. I am looking at the one which can also be used as an incubator too (although I will not be having babies) but I'm thinking long term which would be best.
Thanks Amanda

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:58 AM

Hi,

I use an under counter fridge to hibernate my hatchlings, i've used these for years as they work really well and hold good temperatures, i'll be hibernating the hatchlings the same this year, i always run the fridge a few weeks before i tend to hibernate just to give it time to settle and have good temperatures, i've heard you can use a certain incubator to hibernate but i can never remember the name i always have to ask Sue, i've never hibernated this way so can't help with that. x

#3 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 05:49 AM

Hi,
Thanks for your help. I think I will look into an undercounter fridge.
Also I have 2 babies in one enclosure and was wondering how I will wind one down but keep one going will that be possible to do?
The little one is alot smaller than Tiddles so want to over winter her to get her caught up a bit.
Thanks

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 08:02 AM

I have a couple of hatchlings that wont be hibernated this year as their too small, i'll have to make a temp set up for them for a few weeks, you wouldn't be able to wind one down and feed the other in the same enclosure. x

#5 Tiddles123

Tiddles123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

Ok thanks, is it best to remove the one that won't be hibernating?
Amanda

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:52 AM

Ok thanks, is it best to remove the one that won't be hibernating?
Amanda

That's the way I'm going to do it as I don't want to stress the ones going in the fridge too much before hand. x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users