4 replies to this topic

#1 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

Hi,

I currently have both tortoises outside in the shed. It is heated during the day with a 120watt heatlamp with temperatures reaching around 30 degrees. There is currently no background heat at night but there is deep soil for them to bury down into,

I have noticed Marl the smaller tortoise is burying herself deep down and is not coming up in the mornings. Is she naturally trying to hibernate? Should I leave her to do this or dig her up each morning. The other tortoise is still walking around and eating.

I was planning on starting to wind them down in the next week or two ready to use the fridge method of hibernation Should I bring this forward?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:42 AM

Hi Chris,

How old are your tortoises again, with the colder weather now and not having any background heat they will naturally dig down as they will feel the difference in temperature, with this they might not get up on a morning, I wouldn't just leave her to it I would wake her.

If it was me I would bring the wind down forward a little as long as you have every thing ready like the fridge etc. x

#3 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 01:28 PM

Thanks Karen,

Min and Marl are 6 years old. I am currently winding them down and trying to stabilise the fridge temperatures in readiness.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

Is your fridge indoors?

#5 Piddy123

Piddy123

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:41 AM

Yes it is kept in our spare room. It has been switched off through the summer so was taking a few days to stabilise. I have filled a few more bottles with water and it is beginning to keep a more regular temperature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users