#1 Pickle1983

Pickle1983

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

Hi all,

Happy New Year to you all.

I have a query regarding humidity that i was hoping someone could help me with.

I've seen conflicting comments online on different websites about how we control the humidity for our torts. 

I use the ProRep Tortoise Life substrate from Jolly's, currently I am spraying the soil every morning, just like you would water a plant (but not quite as powerful) so the soil is slightly damp rather than wet. Some websites say not to wet the soil as it can cause shell rot, but some say to keep it damp?!

Can anyone help to clarify for me please?

On another note, Queenie has just completed her first hibernation which im really happy about, shes back to eating and im bathing her regularly, she hasnt been for a wee yet but im hoping this will happen in the next few days with regular bathing. 

Thank you,

Nic

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

I prefer watering to spraying, to make things more as they would be in nature. Always think wild when unsure of what to do. Tortoise dig in overnight or spend time under plants and in the morning these are dripping with overnight dew. During the day, they spend time basking and foraging, so overnight (especially) moisture is essential. You will find it’s better if the part of the soil underground is moist, rather than the surface, humidity is more stable this way. Queenie might have passed water as she woke, they usually wee very quickly after hibernation to clear out the cloaca.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users