• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MikeA

MikeA

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:38 PM

I am still quiet new to being a tortoise owner and want to make clear I am not planning on adding anything else to her table for the foreseeable future. I have however come across a lot of people who will have a chameleon, some type of crab or frog, or a house gecko who seem live happily with their tortoises. I was just wondering if this is anything anyone has tried and how well/badly it worked out for them.

Thanks

Attached Files

• Attached File  b.jpg   50.47KB   0 downloads

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

Many people have tried this sort of thing and I dont know of even one who it worked for. Different species carry different pathogens, which can be fine in a single species group, but when different species are kept in close proximity with no escape from each other, one usually succumbs pretty quickly, not to mention the very different behaviours, its survival of the fittest Im afraid. Ive seen several groups of tortoises wiped out completely simply by introducing a different species. Id never risk it personally.

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:02 AM

I agree with Sue, it not worth the risk to your tortoise, you do see people say they get on great living together and maybe at first to them it looks as though they do, but when things do go wrong most of the time you dont hear about it.  :wink: 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users