12 replies to this topic

#1 grapefruit

grapefruit

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:53 PM

Hello all,

I have a dilemma and need some advice/opinions.

I live in HoChiMinh City and have recently started seeing a fella sitting near the traffic lights round the corner with two tortoises balanced on bricks. My wife tells me that whoever buys them will probably eat them. They are obviously in distress and I would like to rescue them.

However....

I live in a 13th floor one bedroom flat, I do have a decent sized balcony and there is grass in the gardens downstairs. I am sure i could find a big plastic container to keep them in, but is this good enough? What else would i need?

Also, My wife is (at this moment) researching her visa application as she wants us to move to the UK next year, so what does anybody know about the legalities and logistics of bringing them back with me?

The animal rights movement is not in its infancy here, it is barely a fetus! and this is just one of many times I have seen animals kept in inadequate conditions.  

Any advice, opinions and options would be appreciated.  

Thanks

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

Hello
Thanks for sharing your story.
I guess the first question that come to my mind is what is the specie of the two tortoises?

Sabina

#3 grapefruit

grapefruit

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:50 PM

Hi Sabina

my best guess is The elongated tortoise (Indotestudo elongata).

but i cannot be sure

Nathan

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 04:01 AM

Hi Nathan, welcome to the forum, gald you could get logged on  :)

If your set up is only going to be temporary and better than what they have now then I would say to rescue them.

I'm not too sure about bringing them back to the UK if you decide too so i'll message Sue and ask her to look in she might be able to help more with this. x  :)

#5 grapefruit

grapefruit

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 06:38 AM

I think I am too late.

I have just been out but I could not find them.

I would still like any info you have on bringing them back to the UK as I often see animals in need here.

I saw two Tortoises in a garden coffeeshop a while ago it was heartbreaking to see these wonderful creatures in a small wire cage with no shade or grass or anything. 

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:27 PM

I don’t think I could bear to live in Vietnam for this reason. It was bad enough in Morocco ☹️ I’m sorry but I’m not sure of the legalities of import/export where are animals are concerned. I will have a look around, but think it might not be good news.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

Have a look here for starters, they are pretty good at responding to emails https://www.gov.uk/g...otected-species

#8 grapefruit

grapefruit

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

Thanks wizzasmum.

That Gov.uk site is a real brain melting maze.

I had already searched and read a lot of it but not found the pages in your link.

I was on the https://www.gov.uk/g...-native-animals part of the site.

Just finding the right people to email and ask is a nightmare.

Whenever i have found a link for 'personal pets' it only talks about cats and dogs and ferrets!

otherwise it is talking about importing for trade purposes! 

I think I will try pettravel@apha.gov.uk and see what they have to say.

#9 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:59 PM

Just email or ring them, they are very helpful. It’s easy to get it wrong just
perusing the site

#10 grapefruit

grapefruit

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:30 AM

I have just bought a tortoise!

I was riding home and I saw them by the traffic lights.

The man had three, two smaller ones on bricks and a larger one on its back that he was poking with a wooden skewer!

I wanted to punch him! but I kept my cool and started haggling. He wanted 2100000d (60quid) for all three but I only had 1million on me so I only got the one for 600000d (20 pounds) 

Here are pictures of it (him/her I dont know yet) minutes after getting home.

I have just ordered delivery of a giant washing up tub to keep it in. 

Any advice on making it comfortable and happy welcome.

edited to include pics of the set up so far....and a pic from below in case that helps anyone to know if it is a boy or girl...

Attached Files

#11 grapefruit

grapefruit

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 04:54 PM

After further research on this tortoise. I have come to the conclusion that the best thing would be to contact these people and see about returning her to the wild.

http://wildlifeatrisk.org/

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:40 PM

That’s by far the best thing to do, as it won’t live long in a tub. Poor little thing ☹️

#13 grapefruit

grapefruit

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:41 AM

I went to see Cu Chi wildlife rescue station yesterday, although it is not called that anymore as it has been taken over by the government.

It is basically a monkey prison. They have about 20 or 30 monkeys all in smallish cages that have been rescued from (presumably?) worse situations and some birds and Porcupines and Pangolins. They have 8 tortoise and turtle paddocks all about  20 feet long by 12 feet wide each with a built in concrete pond, but only two still have any tortoises in them. 

We showed them a picture of my tortoise and they let us in to see they had a paddock with 8 similar tortoises, and said they would be happy to add mine to their family.

We had heard that Wildlifeatrisk have recently opened another wildlife rescue centre about 30 mins further up the road that houses small mammals and reptiles so we went to check it out but failed to find it. And as they have mismanaged two rescue centres here and had them taken over by the authorities I am not sure I have much faith in them, ( according to their website volunteers must pay $350 a week to work there! )

On the way back we stopped to buy a big bag of tiny bananas for the monkeys and some green beans for the tortoises and headed home. 

I have worries and concerns about leaving my baby with these people, and the set up they have is by no means perfect,( the pond had only a puddle of dirty water and there was nowhere for them to hide) but it must be better than the set up I have now and I will have to leave it somewhere when I return to the UK next year.

I know this is very off topic for this forum but I have difficulty finding anyone to talk to about this sort of thing here, so thank you for you patience. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users