Cleaning Tortoises?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:54 PM

Hi everyone

I saw videos of people cleaning their torts when they bath them to remove the soil in their front and back armpits or on shell for example. I mean cleaning with water only and a cotton bud and tooth brush, although the toothbrush sounds harsh for their sensitive growth tissues.

Is that really necessary to clean them? I mean nobody cleans them in nature and my first thinking is soil and a bit of mud might help natural shedding of their skin and contribute to the natural abrasion of the shell. Nature always makes things harmonious,right?

I am asking because I have no intention to clean the soil off my torts when they live outdoors.

I am not even sure they like to be cleaned 😏

What are your thoughts on that?

Thank you
Sabina

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:54 AM

Hi Sabina,

I've never cleaned a tortoise in all the years i've kept them they do get a soak but that's it, some people put too much of a human look into keeping them thinking they look better when their clean where they seem more happy when their covered in mud, and they don't stay clean long any way. :) 

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:38 PM

Agree with Karen. It's a bit like people who constantly wash dogs etc. Sooner or later they will have problems if nature is interfered with. I have a little male with no tail which obviously needs an eye keeping on his nether regions in case he gets a build up of faeces, but he's the only one who ever needs this attention.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users