- - - - -

carrot

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 25-11-05 AT 10:29 PM (GMT)]Quite a grocery list :-)
Perennial geraniums they can eat but some will some won't
Low growing Campanula is a tortoise treat, they love it, also Auberitia Laverta flowers, they can eat the leaves but again some will some won't, Petunias are another favourite, But the one that I have never heard a tortoise turn it's nose up to, is Hibiscus flowers, it must be the out door one, as there is an indoor one with dark shiny leaves which is poisenous.
Carrots, some people say yes some no to any root veg, but I do give mine it now and again especially in the summer, I get frozen baby carrots cook them on 650 for 10 mins in the micro wave in water. cool them down with cold water and just give them the torts, they've got plenty of water content for them and they do like them, it can also work with tortoise that are not good eaters, I.E. your getting some food down them as well as keeping them hydrated, don't let the tortoise become addicted to them though as this is defeating the object. Jane Nichols list is good and it's not just for torts to eat, because some they won't, but all the plants are safe to put where your tortoise are.
Oh, I remember another good one, I call it the ice plant, it has soft fleshy leaves with a big head of pink flowers that Bee's love, if I remember it proper name or find a photo I'll post it
Sedum (Remembered it)
Arnie

#22 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:35 PM

My RT, Boris, loves grated raw carrot, but I only give him a little and not very often, as I guess he wouldn't find it in his natural habitat. Did I read somewhere that carrot is good for getting rid of worms or other parasites? I've just looked through my links but can't find anything on it, so maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

#23 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2005 - 05:29 PM

Yep Campanula is a big favourite for ours, in the summer they make straight for it, good job it grows everywhere. And Sedum although they won't eat it in the garden, only if we pick the leaves and break them in two and add to the dinner dish or hand feed, Yeah I know, snobs! Mine will eat cooked carrot not raw but not often. :)

#24 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:45 PM

I grate my carrot and they all love it, but i only give it them one a week if that.

#25 Guest_JJ_*

Guest_JJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2005 - 12:20 PM

Mine loves a little bit of grated carrot every now and then but won't eat it any other way. I think I spoil him...I have to cut things up into little munchable sized pieces for him so its easier for him to eat! :7

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users