• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DašaP

DašaP

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:19 PM

Hello again! :)

2 weeks ago my boyfriend finally finished the indoor enclosure for my big one :D.

It measures 185x125cm (6fx4f), it is made out of wood and has for about 12cm deep substrate.

Since than my tortoise hasn`t been very active..She most of the time just bask under the spot light :/.

The temperature underneath the spot light is high enough but in the rest of the enclosure the temperature is only 18°C because we haven`t been start to heat up in the house yet.. I dont know now if that causes the problem. If it is i  was thinking about the lid to increase the temperature..

Tell me please what you think about all this and about the enclosure itself :).

lip-2015-0.jpg

u5l-2015-0.jpg

I am also not sure that she likes top soil as a substrate.. Before she had coco husk.

exoterracocohusk.jpg

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:56 AM

Hi,

The enclosure looks great, the only thing I can't see a basking lamp are you just using the bulbs at the side for her to heat up as I don't think that would be enough, there great for extra light in the table, but she does need a basking lamp with good temperatures to keep her going. :)

#3 DašaP

DašaP

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:35 AM

The temperature underneath the bulbs is around 36°C what it should be enough. So they are like basking lamps. I don`t know why for the instance mega ray is better. It has 100W but the majority of you guys keep it on the higher position like i have mine 25 and 40W spot bulbs so both produce the same temperature on the shell of the tortoise.

#4 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 1,005 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

Do the lamps register the correct temp on the soil and not just the tortoise as this makes a difference too? Tortoises always object to a change of habitat and substrate even for the better. Remember humidity plays a huge part too, which helps with correct she'll growth. Has your tortoise lived outdoors over summer?

#5 DašaP

DašaP

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

I checked the temperature on the soil in the middle of the enclosure yesterday and it was 20°C. And for the humidity i water the soil often. Yesterday I also saw for the first time that she burried herself a little bit when she went to sleep. Before I read here about this I thought to put in the enclosure some shelter but now I didn`t.

Yes, the tortoise had been living outside over summer. I posted the pictures in other topic if you remember ;).

2015-08-11-115440.jpg

Outside she has shelter and she really enjoys using it.. I like that she is on the dry straw even when it`s raining.

I want to make her one part of the indoor enclosure in two levels to have like some cave down and little slope up.

#6 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 1,005 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

[quote name="DašaP" post="64928" timestamp="1444031806"]I checked the temperature on the soil in the middle of the enclosure yesterday and it was 20°C. And for the humidity i water the soil often. Yesterday I also saw for the first time that she burried herself a little bit when she went to sleep. Before I read here about this I thought to put in the enclosure some shelter but now I didn`t.

Yes, the tortoise had been living outside over summer. I posted the pictures in other topic if you remember ;).

2015-08-11-115440.jpg

Outside she has shelter and she really enjoys using it.. I like that she is on the dry straw even when it`s raining.

I want to make her one part of the indoor enclosure in two levels to have like some cave down and little slope up.[/quo

Lol, I rarely remember. I tend to reply to individual posts with little notice of who has written them, just with honesty and with the tort in mind. Is the basking temp 30+ at ground level? Split levels rarely work as tortoises instincts are to walk in a large area and dig down to sleep in a smaller area, so they don't get maximum natural light levels in split level enclosures. Straw is really bad for them as it harbours mould spores, which cause respiratory problems. It serves no purpose really for a cold blooded animal. Good you are thinking things through though.

#7 DašaP

DašaP

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

I understand and thank you for all the answers :)!

Yes, the basking temperature is 30+ at ground level... so, is it everything ok with the temperatures inside the enclosure? Now i proprably don`t need to install one extra basking lamp?

You probably misunderstood me. With 2 levels I just meant something like this.

dscn1475.jpg

source: www.tortsmad.com

Should i replace a straw with dry leaves? I don`t use it for the purpose of the insulation like we need but just for something to dig in.;).

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 1,005 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:58 PM

I understand and thank you for all the answers :)!

Yes, the basking temperature is 30+ at ground level... so, is it everything ok with the temperatures inside the enclosure? Now i proprably don`t need to install one extra basking lamp?

You probably misunderstood me. With 2 levels I just meant something like this.

dscn1475.jpg

Should i replace a straw with dry leaves? I don`t use it for the purpose of the insulation like we need but just for something to dig in.;).

Well I have to agree with that pic, it's from my website and those are my babies lol nobody seems to take note of copyrite :) I would replace the straw with more soil. Being cold blooded bedding doesn't help and encourages dehydration, but digging down into soil does help them to keep their core temps longer and improves hydration, keeping the shell a good overall shape ( providing diet is also good).

#9 DašaP

DašaP

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:46 AM

I am so sorry but before i started to make this enclosure I had been collecting some inspiring photos from web on my computer. Now i didn˙t know from where exactly was this one :/.

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 1,005 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

Lol, it was from tortsmad.com. Don't worry as uprising amount of my illustrations turn up in Google searches. I was amazed when I first saw them, other people pointed them out too ;)

#11 DašaP

DašaP

Tortoise Forum Newby

• 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:47 PM

After your advice I added one halogen 150W bulb and the tortoise is so much active! Like outside in the summer :).

dsc0584.jpg

Now I just don't know what to do with plants. Last year I planted pansy flowers but she just walk over them and eat them a bit so I moved them out of the enclosure.

#12 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• 1,005 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 23 March 2017 - 05:21 PM

That's brilliant, you can actually see where the basking lamp is hitting the soil, so that's answered your query re the hot spots and illustrated perfectly why the soil has to be heated and not just the shell. You will have seen your tortoise sniffing around and that is when they are sniffing out the correct temps. As you have found, in enclosures plants get eaten, so are probably best grown elsewhere. Well done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users