#1 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 05 September 2020 - 06:41 PM

Hi Everyone, hope you are all well.

Just wondered if anyone else is experiencing their tort bedding down. Today is the first time my tort hasn't ventured out (she is about 11). I could understand it this morning whilst it was raining for a short time but then the sun came out and she was nowhere to be seen. We have a south facing garden, her light was on, the temp was fine. I dug her out and put her on the edge of the garden where there is still plenty of weeds for her to eat, she stayed there for approx 8 mins and then decided to trot back to her den where she again bedded right down under the soil and has been there all afternoon and tonight.

She has hibernated for the last 3 years without any problems but as soon as it gets to September she starts to bed down. I dig her up, bath her but she will not eat. Last year I managed to keep her awake until mid October which was a real struggle :rolleyes:. I did try bringing her in a couple of years ago with a UV light etc but it just seems her body clock says its September i need to sleep.

Thanks

Carol x

#2 NANACAZ

NANACAZ

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Walking dog, watching my tortoise.Holidays

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:00 PM

Hi Again

just an update.

Today Thursday is a lovely bright warm day for September and guess where my tort is... yes buried down, got her up this morning and sat her under her light, bathed her and put her in our south facing garden where there is still some weeds and ice plant growing. The is sun shining and its really warm but she had a walk around and then made her way back to her den where she half dug herself down.

In the afternoon I brought her back out on to the garden but again within 15 mins she was back in her den this time she dug herself that deep I couldn't find her her at first.

Is anyone else's torts doing this :unsure2: :rolleyes:

I would like to keep her awake until at least the middle of October :rolleyes:

Thanks

Carol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users