Photo

How Do You Weight A Baby Tortoise On An Electronic Scale?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:My interests: Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Also metaphysics and the 12 universal laws.

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

Hello

I am curious to know what is the best way to weight a baby tortoise on an electronic scale i.e how to prevent the baby to move away from the scale so that i can get accurate measurements.  :thinking:

I can imagine that putting it on its shell (up side down) will be stressful for a little one.  :(

Any feedback much appreciated.

Thank you

Sabina

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:25 AM

Hi Sabrina,

I just sit my babies on the scales they don't normally move straight away so you get the reading in time, it would be stressful for them turning them over and you would probably find they would kick their legs any way in a way to turn back over, I have some two year olds here and I still manage to weigh them this way, I try and weigh them the same each month which is before a bath and food. :)

#3 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:40 PM

Same here Karen. Big tortoises are the ones most likely to move away, then I put an upturned plant pot on the scales and put them on top with legs dangling. I've seen vets weigh them upside down, not something I would do :(

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:59 AM

Same here Karen. Big tortoises are the ones most likely to move away, then I put an upturned plant pot on the scales and put them on top with legs dangling. I've seen vets weigh them upside down, not something I would do :(

I do the same with adults using a pot it's easy this way, I wouldn't turn adults over either. :unsure2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users