• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

It would seem that all is not well in the world of Herp keeping. Though I was initially sceptical of the issue on the grounds that it became prominent in my consciousness by an appeal for cash from an organisation that I considered just one of many, it is becoming apparent that a threat to the hobby is posed by the actions of those who have an agenda to stop the keeping of all exotic animals on ground that are inflexible and almost mindlessly militant/radical. This group of folk is spearheaded by the ASA..the type who release mink into pristine environments, poison hounds, threaten herp keepers and harass/ intimidate local politicians so much that expos are cancelled/ threatened with cancellation. No doubt these people have animal welfare on their minds to some extent..and this hobby encourages some terrible transportation conditions and husbandry practices for many animals. However this is tiny minority and becoming smaller all the time.
I am posting these links for your perusal. If this legislation comes into effect it will be blanket (one size fits all ) legislation..the cheapest most resource efficient to put in place. And seeing as this lot are very vocal/emotive and potentially extreme in their approach, it could well mean the end for our hobby. I initially shrugged off the thought 'til my Mrs mentioned the smoking ban as a precedent to this..and more folk like to smoke ( a far more expensive pastime as regard the cost to public health ) than keep herps. The UK has a reputation for passing inflexible and entrenched laws that are enforced by dutiful civil servants. This is real..though I would think twice before giving my money to anyone who is claiming to act on my behalf, without knowing their every move and without full answerability.
But maybe its time we started lobbying and supporting local expos. And for the few who dont have their animals in suitable conditions..its time to shun them commercially and pressure them to come up to standard.
Anyway , the links:
http://www.reptilefo...ment-facts.html
http://www.reptilefo...t-continue.html

#2 Guest_Chrissyan_*

Guest_Chrissyan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

It is very worrying Greenslider, but surely it won't come to a ban? :(

#3 Greenslider

Greenslider

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

These groups make enough noise and engage in enough stunts to embarass the political castes..so on a national level they can cause a bit of local cancellations of events. On a euro level it would seem Yes. If people remember the Red Eared Terrapin legislation it was thrown together fro all the wrong reasons and terrapins from the north american continent continue to still continue to flood in to the country..same dance different tune. Ironically the keeping and breeding of Euro species is not encouraged in the pet trade( although it would keep several sub species in existence that have long been in severe decline in their local populations.
There are real issues with the importation of Wild Caught animals but a euro balnket ban could also include the captive bred progeny of wild caught animals and this seems to be fanning the flames of panic. A total ban would suit theses people as it removed the piece from the board altogether. What these people fail to remember is that many rare species of herps are being reared in captivity in private collections and many of these folk are in contact with zoos and conservation efforts all over europe. so whereas there are a few dealers/ retailers out there who need a kick in the pants, a great deal is being done by private keepers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users