13 replies to this topic

#1 CKelly2488

CKelly2488

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

Hi All,

I am new to having two little Hermann tortoises (since Monday) and I am a little worried as they don't seem to be eating very much. I was advised to buy dried leaves/flowers and rehydrate them and then add a few fresh bits. Im finding searching on foods they eat very contradicting. They don't appear to be eating any of the re-hydrated food at all. They have had a little bit of kale, carrot, cress and romaine. I understand it is a new environment for them so they are a little nervous. I just want to make sure I am feeding them the right things and giving a variety and not too much of the wrong things/over facing them. Im finding searching the internet too confusing and want to do the best for them.

Thanks in advance.

#2 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 07 March 2019 - 12:20 PM

HI there

You can buy this book

http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=9780

And you can grow weeds, here are two sources t buy some:

http://www.hermann-t...?showtopic=9781

http://www.hermann-t...wtopic=9868&hl=

Carottes, Kale, salads are not suitable and nutritionally good for Hermann tortoises. Also please do not gove fruits.

If you needs weeds names to feed urgently, please let us know.

Sabina

#3 CKelly2488

CKelly2488

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 01:08 PM

Thanks Sabina.

So if those foods are not good what do you feed at this time of year? Please could you send me some ideas? Do you not feed any shop bought vegetables? The dried food contains nettles, dandelions, marigolds and camomile flowers amongst others. Is this suitable?

Thanks

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:10 PM

Thanks Sabina.

So if those foods are not good what do you feed at this time of year? Please could you send me some ideas? Do you not feed any shop bought vegetables? The dried food contains nettles, dandelions, marigolds and camomile flowers amongst others. Is this suitable?

Thanks

Hi Claire,

It does seem a mind field at first and there is a lot of conflicting advice around, you will find the advice on here all the same from different members all experienced keepers, Sue ( wizzasmum) has been keeping tortoises for over 35 years and gives great advice.  :)

The best diet for tortoises is weeds, plants and flowers the only shop bought food to use is Florett crispy salad and this is only for short term use over winter until weeds start to grow, Dandelion is a good feed, but  I would bin any dried food you have as this is not a suitable feed, this book was written by someone who has researched tortoises in the wild and a brilliant book to know what to feed and help you i.d weeds  https://www.facebook...oisePlantsBook/

I look forward to seeing pictures of your new tortoises.  :)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:11 PM

Attached File  bcg seeds.jpg   66.72KB   0 downloads this is a good place to buy weeds to grow your own food. x

#6 CKelly2488

CKelly2488

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 05:25 PM

It is a nightmare as I thought I was clued up before we bought them. Sorry if I sound daft but what are you feeding at the moment? Do you just serve them the crispy salad? Ive been told strawberries too but above said not to?! I feel like Ive bitten off more than I can chew!

Ill look into getting some plants grown but from now until then what do you suggest I feed?

TIA

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:11 PM

As mentioned dried food isn’t good and can sometimes be dangerous. If leaves are dried quickly, then the composition can change and actually be dangerous for your tortoises. They may well know this which is why they’re not eating. Appetite also depends on other things, such as heat and light levels.
Always try to think of what tortoises have in nature. If the weathers too cool, they don’t eat and hide away, if it’s too hot they dig in and don’t eat, so it about getting the temps right too. Your hot spot needs to be around 32 degrees and they need access to a cool area to dig in overnight when lights are out. It gets easier as you learn what to feed, temps to,use etc. For now get some florette crispy salad and a good quality supplement/calcium balancer such as Nekton MSA. Don’t feed fruit of any type as it just encourages parasites to flourish in the gut.
Never use pet shop or dealer advice, it’s 99% guaranteed to be wrong. Many Facebook groups are poor too, as anyone can start a group with very little or even no experience. My hermanns tortoise Facebook group gives good advice, as does Teeside tortoises, both worth a look. This is how I keep my babies www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm

#8 CKelly2488

CKelly2488

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 09:12 PM

Thank you so much for all replies! I have fed some romaine lettuce and they ate it all. The pet shop gave me all the advice but they did say they need variety as they will get bored so Im assuming this was duff information and I can just feed them the Crispy salad until I can get my hands on proper stuff? Would romaine be ok for them? I have got a supplement, its called Komodo advanced nutri cal, is this sufficient? Also daft question but what do you bath them in? Ive got 2 Tupperware dishes I was advised to use Im hoping this is correct? I will have a look at what youve suggested. I just want to do right for my gorgeous little beauties but feel like Ive been fobbed off with info at the pet shop!

#9 Andyc

Andyc

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:01 PM

Hey people,

Daisy my 4/5 year old has woken up this week, Ive bathed her and keeping her in the house until things warm up a bit outside, lucky there is some dandelion about and have given some cucumber for rehydration, but she is not interested in any food yet, how long should I leave it before I get worried it was only Monday I bathed her after she unburied Monday.

Many thanks

Andy c

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:06 AM

Thank you so much for all replies! I have fed some romaine lettuce and they ate it all. The pet shop gave me all the advice but they did say they need variety as they will get bored so Im assuming this was duff information and I can just feed them the Crispy salad until I can get my hands on proper stuff? Would romaine be ok for them? I have got a supplement, its called Komodo advanced nutri cal, is this sufficient? Also daft question but what do you bath them in? Ive got 2 Tupperware dishes I was advised to use Im hoping this is correct? I will have a look at what youve suggested. I just want to do right for my gorgeous little beauties but feel like Ive been fobbed off with info at the pet shop!

Well its true that they need variety, but for nutritional purposes rather than boredom. The opposite is correct, in that if you just feed one food, they will get addicted to one type and may refuse others. Yes you can give them Florette Crispy as it has a good variety and all ok to feed. Its not as fibrous as wild grown food, but a good standby. Romaine is ok, but not just that. Id not use the Komodo stuff, a better one, a good calcium balancer Is Nekton MSA. You can get it from Amazon. Just buy the tiny 40g size as it will be out of date before its used. Hope this helps.

#11 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 08 March 2019 - 12:14 AM

Hey people,
Daisy my 4/5 year old has woken up this week, Ive bathed her and keeping her in the house until things warm up a bit outside, lucky there is some dandelion about and have given some cucumber for rehydration, but she is not interested in any food yet, how long should I leave it before I get worried it was only Monday I bathed her after she unburied Monday.
Many thanks
Andy c

You don’t say how you’re keeping her indoors. In order to have an appetite, they need temps of 32c, this also helps with digestion. If you’ve not got basking facilities indoors then you need to set up something ASAP.

#12 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 04:02 AM

Hi Claire,

This is what you need to order, when it arrives use a pin and make a few tiny holes in the silver seal this way you have a shaker to add it to the food, this is just a little tip someone told me and works really well. x  :)  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nekton-MSA-40g-vitamins-vit/dp/B01GUCS3H8/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=nekton+msa&qid=1552017605&s=gateway&sr=8-2 

#13 CKelly2488

CKelly2488

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:26 PM

Thank you all!

Im feeling a bit more confident now! :thumbup:

#14 crusty

crusty

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

Hi CKelly,

There's quite a lot of weed growing already where I live in Kent, you just need to get in the habit of looking for them when you're out and about.

So far since Tank came out of hibernation he's been having, Ribwort Plantain, Bristly Oxtongue, Deadnettle, chickweed, Dandelion, Catsear,

Alexanders, Mallow Sow thistle Bittercress and Nipplewort, we even have some Dandelion flowers out.

Some of this is from my own garden/Tortoise enclosure and some from walks.

cheers

Kev.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users