Top Soil From Wickes At 3 - Not Ideal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:06 AM

Hello

I bought this top soil and it is not ideal: I found small bits of glass, tiny bits of plastic, tiny bits of what i think is crips bag.

https://www.wickes.c...---25L/p/200247

Sabina

#2 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 December 2018 - 10:16 AM

That’s awful Sabina. Thanks for pointing it out. Might be ok for shrubberies, but certainly not good for animals. I e often wondered about the biodegradable bags that people often stick in their recycle bins. They might biodegrade in time, but not good in animal litter etc once recycled.

#3 NJ-Geol

NJ-Geol

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

Good morning.

If the soil was sold as TOPSOIL, it has to comply with British Standard 3882:2015. It must be free of "undesirable potentially injurious foreign object discernible by the naked eye".

Therefore you should report this to the supplier and to trading standards.

Recycled and composted wastes also have to comply with relevant environmental standards

Neil

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

Im really surprised, Sabina; Ive always used that particular one myself, and its always been super. Id be very tempted to take it back and speak to the manager; it might be a duff batch.

#5 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

Im really surprised, Sabina; Ive always used that particular one myself, and its always been super. Id be very tempted to take it back and speak to the manager; it might be a duff batch.

#6 pompeypoole

pompeypoole

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 06:06 PM

Very odd. I always use this brand to. I have never had a problem like that. Try speaking to store.

#7 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:05 PM

Good morning.
If the soil was sold as TOPSOIL, it has to comply with British Standard 3882:2015. It must be free of "undesirable potentially injurious foreign object discernible by the naked eye".
Therefore you should report this to the supplier and to trading standards.
Recycled and composted wastes also have to comply with relevant environmental standards
Neil

Thanks for that NJ-Geol. worth looking into. I’ve heard bad reports about other brands too. Looking at the feedback for the Wickes poduct, it appears others are unhappy and reporting glass and bits of wire, so it does need looking into

#8 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 03 December 2018 - 09:07 PM

Have a look at their feedback Graham. I’m going to get a bag tomorrow to see if it’s countrywide and not just in the south.

#9 babettebeau

babettebeau

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Naturopathic nutrition, biology, physiology and biochemistry, Iyengar yoga, meditation and mindfulness, swimming, food, cooking, baking, growing flowers and plants, nature in general, travel. Metaphysics and the Universal Laws, which are above the "human made" laws.

Posted 03 December 2018 - 11:23 PM

I bought it from a wickes shop in London.

#10 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling