• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 clarey

clarey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:58 AM

Hi all, I have 2 lady tortoises,they are rescue ones that I was given 2 months ago.
They had been living with males and the lady wanted them to have some peace and quiet!!! She thinks they are about 45 yrs old!!
So for a few days thelma has been going nuts, read up on it on here, and true to form she made a big hole yesterday and we were lucky enough to be home and saw her have the eggs :) she had 6, we have out them on damp vermiculite in a incubator at 32 degrees is that ok? Will pop on some pics of my ladys xx

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

hi clarey

welcome to the forum. :)

I always leave the vermiculite dry, temps are ok at 32 do you know what the humidity is in the incubator. ;)

#3 clarey

clarey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hiya karen not sure ehat humidity is I have put a saucer of water in there? How do u find out if its right. God they have only just had them and i'm already like a expectant mother!!!!!

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

hi,

you need to get a hydrometer this will read the humidity for you.

have a look on ebay or amazon they don't cost a lot.

don't buy one of the round plastic ones as there no good. ;)

#5 clarey

clarey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Cool I have one of those I use it for homemade wine!! What do I fo with it in incubator? ? Xx

#6 jay

jay

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

congratulations,keep us posted,i have a KTJ TA138 thermo which is great it reads humidity and temperature  i bought it from ebay i place it next to the water dish in the incubator.

Jaynex

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

Cool I have one of those I use it for homemade wine!! What do I fo with it in incubator? ? Xx

I place mine near the eggs in the incubator, it wants to be reading 70/ 80% if it lower you will have to add a bigger bowl of water.

let us know how you get on. :)

#8 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Clarey, the hydrometers used for measuring humidity in the incubators are different to those used in wine making; you're thinking of the type consisting of a weighted glass tube to measure the density of the liquid, telling you how far into the fermentation process you are. The ones for this purpose are electronic, look like kitchen timers, and give a digital readout of the humidity of the surrounding air.

#9 clarey

clarey

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Ok all sorted been out bought new incubator as wasnt happy with one we had!! Got a herp 2 digital one and a digital hydrometer all set up will move eggs into new one 2morrow, new one has glass door so I can see the eggs all the time!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users