- - - - -

please read

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:42 AM

hi im 14. i got 2 tortoises for my birthday last year. i have one male and one female. i heard it is bad to keep them in a vivarium, so i am keeping them in an under the bed storage box. they have a propa light, a cardboard box for them to bury under. a water dish a food plate. the bottom of their box is a mix of play sand and compost. i feel they get bored is there any things i can put in there box for them to do?
in the summer they will be outside for most of the day in my backgarden.
when i got them one of them had shell rot. i am cleaning his shell with a medical scrub that someone recomended. his shell is getting better but if any one could suggest something else to help i would appreciate it.
they are 3 years old.

#2 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:48 AM

also at the minute i am feeding them : mixed bags of lettuce that u can buy at the shops, tomato. cucumber, apple and pear. i also sprinkle this 'repative' thing thats meant to have calcium in it on there food a few times a week is this right?

#3 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

please can someone reply and help me out here?

#4 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

What kind of tortoises are they?? If they're mediterranean ones they shouldn't get fruit as part of their main diet. The odd bit of tomato once a week is probably ok but I'd stop with the apple and the pear. These are too high in sugar. You should get some limestone flour and sprinkle that on their food. You can get it on the net or order it from a horse supplies shop. Mix it 7 parts limestone flour with 2 part of your vitamin supplement. What are their names??

#5 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:07 PM

Right i nicked this off another thread but its about shell rot and it was written by Arnhib- very clever person :)

As you've been told change the substrate to either paper. Towels are another good option, you can boil them.
You also need to get as much loose shell off as you can and get some Betadine from Boots, they do a small bottle and dilute it to 10 parts water and 1 part Betadine, you could mix this into a small bottle seperately, keep it cool and dark it will keep for a few days ok. Clean the area with warm water and dry throughly then apply more Betadine solution daily, so there is no buid up of Betadine. Depending on how bad it is the vet might put the tortoise on anti-biotics too, acting quickly will be good in the long term, but it will take a while to heal over, now it's only the shell, the damage comes if it penetrates the bone beneath.Good luck at the vets
Arnie

#6 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:10 PM

http://www.hermann-t...orum=DCForumID1
this should be the original thread.

#7 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

yep i use betadine soloution and i scrape the shell rot with a pin to try and remove it. they are hermanns torts. their names are herbie and maisie.

#8 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

what should their diet be? what can i feed them if apple and pear is bad for them?

#9 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:31 PM

Hi tortoise-lover and welcome to this site there are loads of people on here that can help you with all your questions i'm sure yiu will get many replies to help you later on.
As for diet you really should try feeding garden weeds as the main part of your tortoises diet , i no this time of year they can be difficult to find but it will only be a few more weeks till they will be found more readly so for the time being keep feeding your packet salad mixed with what weeds you can find , be careful which packet salad you use this one "florettes crispy salad "is about the best you can buy, no fruit at all as kirsty says to much sugar and high in phosphourus which in large amounts isn't healthy for your tortoise,try if you can changeing your vitamin mineral supplement to nutrabol and get some limestone flour(calcium carbonate) to sprinkle daily on there food
Darren

#10 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

thanks that was really helpfull :)

#11 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:58 PM

Emm... I thought you were supposed to be here to help...

#12 Guest_loopylucy1234567890_*

Guest_loopylucy1234567890_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hi, Don't worry about the sarcasm!!some people are so unhelpful. I have the same problems in the winter as well, trying to find food for Poppy (hermanns , 4 years old)
She is a very fussy eater but if you go to a field there are usually loads of dandelions around and they also need some calcium which can be given to them as limestone flour or possibly cuttlefish :-) See if you can find any other weeds as well though, a tortoise usually knows whats poisoinous and what isn'. As for the boredom, try putting some plants for them to look at and eat! And they like little log tunnels etc (the ones for rabbits).

bye Lucy :-)

All this info i give you is from people on the forum. Ask as many questions as you need to because MOST people will be more than happy to help!!!

#13 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

The last few messages are not tortoise related, and are rude. Someone is asking relevent questions, and getting sarcastic replies.
Please try and be more helpful.

#14 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:42 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-01-06 AT 04:43 PM (GMT)]1. i am not in school beacuse i am ill
2. i could'nt of asked you when i got them 'tortoise guru' beacuse as i see you are the newest member here
3. i don't keep them under the bed u #####
4. and your oviously not a guru if u suggest giving them a ps2
'tortoise guru' as your probly not. i think u r pathetic and your wasting my time with your idiotic replies

#15 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:44 PM

Hello, to make my tortoise enclosures a bit more exiting i use clean stones, plastic plants and also I plant pansies in the soil and they can have a nibble when they want. I would use the nutrobal and limestoen flour it will do your tortoise the world of good and as said above no fruit. There are weeds about you have to just go looking for them, i managed to get a large handfull after half an hour searching and that should feed 5 baby tortoises for two days if i'm lucky.

#16 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-01-06 AT 04:47 PM (GMT)]thanks for that blonde sarah and thanks to every one else apart from 'tortoise guru' i bet you dont know the first thing about tortoises and your trying to be clever but your not infact my dog is smarter then u.

#17 Guest_loopylucy1234567890_*

Guest_loopylucy1234567890_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:11 PM

Ok, I think you might have frightened him of now lol :-)

#18 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:33 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 31-01-06 AT 06:02 PM (GMT)]WOOOW, Just hang on a minute International tortoise guru, anyone can come onto this forum and ask any questions they like about tortoises. The friendly people on this forum have come a long way and now this forum gives excellent advice on all tortoise related issues, we don't need you coming on here to cause trouble. If you can't be civil and answer questions properly then don't bother, we don't need your help honey or your sarcasm on this forum.

#19 Guest_tortoise_lover_*

Guest_tortoise_lover_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

exactly!

#20 Guest_keermiah_*

Guest_keermiah_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:15 PM

Well done tortoise lover for finding this forum and for asking the necessary questions to help you to care for them. I bought two tiny babies at the weekend and everyone on this forum has been very helpful. Stick with it and ask any question even if you think it may seem silly. Its only a silly question if its not asked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users