- - - - -

Tortoise Pees and Poos.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_keermiah_*

Guest_keermiah_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:33 PM

Been bathing babies in warm water once a day. One passes a white kind of water substance and the other one wees. Should there poo be white and loose or should it be harder? Been feeding dandelions sprinkled in limestone flour and nutrobal.

#2 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:54 PM

The white stuff you're seeing is urates - it's perfectly normal in tortoises that come from areas where water isn't abundant, and is nothing to worry about.

Poos should be brown and firm. As I say above though the white stuff isn't poo, it's part of their wee. :)

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:16 PM

From the tortoise trust:-
1) My turtle / tortoise's droppings / urine is white! What does this mean and what should I do? What do normal droppings look like and how often is "normal"?
[Alex {Carter}Dempsey] The white substance is urates (concentrated uric acid). It's a perfectly normal product of protein metabolism, but if it's being passed more than a couple of times a week, it can indicate too much protein in the diet.

Urates should be anything from totally liquid, to about the same consistency as toothpaste. If they're hard or gritty when they're expelled, this indicates dehydration (which is common in terrestrial species kept in vivaria) and if left untreated, dehydration rapidly proves fatal. The tortoise should be bathed immediately by standing it in a bath of shallow, luke-warm water. This should be done daily, until the urates return to normal. Generally, this bathing should be done two to three times every week (more often for hatchlings, who can dehydrate more rapidly than adults).

Re: Stools. A healthy turtle/tortoise produces quite firm, well formed feces. If they contain undigested food, or are runny, then the possibility of parasites should be ruled out by analysis of a stool sample by your vet. If this isn't the cause, then a low fiber diet is the likely culprit. This can be avoided by taking care to feed coarser foodstuffs that are closer to the diet of the species in its natural habitat. Feeding too much fruit, especially to species that wouldn't encounter much naturally, can also cause diarrhea. Frequency of defecation obviously varies depending on how much the turtle/tortoise is eating. If they appear to be straining to produce feces (or haven't gone for several days) try more frequent and prolonged bathing, which can ease mild cases of constipation. If this fails to encourage defecation, a trip to the vet is necessary to rule out the possibility of an intestinal obstruction.

http://www.tortoiset...s/articles.html

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-02-06 AT 04:35 PM (GMT)]Honey as a rule a tortoise pee should be just that with white urates, the urates should be smooth and not gritty, if it's fed the correct diet all should be fine. Poos on the other hand will appear softer if the tortoise poos in the bath, when it's not in the bath and it poos it should as Sarah says be quite firm and well formed, brown not green. :)

#5 Guest_keermiah_*

Guest_keermiah_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:09 PM

Thanks guys. I am just monitoring what each one passes so i can keep check and make sure all is ok. I thought there poo should be brown. Havnt noticed a poo from either one yet and have had them since sunday. Only feeding dandelion and plaintain.

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:13 PM

Just remember honey that a tortoises metabolism is much slower than a mammals so the food passes alot slower through their bodies, don't worry once they go they won't stop lol, keep with the warm baths and it will happen.:)

#7 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

We got George three days before we bought a heat lamp. Placed him under the UV and in those 72 hours, he never peed or pooped. Great low maintenance pet? Installed the heat lamp and warmed him up and he was dropping parcels all over the place :) :o !
I agree, regulating the temperature to a warm climate certainly kick starts their motions!:-)

#8 Guest_Keermiah1_*

Guest_Keermiah1_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:05 PM

Well not bad so far. plenty of wees while they are in bath but only one poo found in tort table and not sure who produced it. Have only had babies a week tomorrow so hoping we will start seeing more parcels soon. If i leave them in bath longer will that encourage them to poo?

#9 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:12 PM

We leave ours 30 mins, the water needs warming up from time to time and they fill the bath with pees and poos, yuk lol, but they really enjoy it.:)

#10 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

I had the same problem with my new hermans babies George & Mildred see "toilet trouble". After a week of settling in and plenty of warm baths they started to go ....and they haven't stopped going!!!

Good luck
Keri

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users