broken shell hell

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_yodstarr_*

Guest_yodstarr_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:48 PM

ok! im starting feel like a bit of an idiot!!
its not a problem tho, ill sort out the viv, seems like the best option to me. The bulb that provides heat is on a thermostat which dims/brightens the bulb as and when.

What pisses me off is that you really think yr doing the right thing and being a model tortoise keeper, only to find out youve been sold a bunch o bullshit by some tosser with a pet store. ArrrH!

I guess ive got some reading up to do with regards flower n weeds. not being the biggest garden expert i dont really know what to look for, or what they look like!

Anyway, ive included the upside down pick as requested, can anyone tell me from the 1st pics if it does look like shell rot.

for info, he wieghs 246g, and is 10cm (4in) in lenght (tip to tail of shell only)

#22 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:03 PM

No your not an idiot at least you have coem on here for soem advise and you are getting it sorted. Have you been on the web site:-
http://www.tlady.cla...t.htm#plantlist
Make sure you turn your tortoises light off at night else they wont knwo when it is time to go to sleep. Tortoises can with stand a temperature drop at night.

#23 Guest_yodstarr_*

Guest_yodstarr_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:08 PM

yer done all that, have checked website out and have printed off some pics so i know what im lookin for!!

#24 Guest_yodstarr_*

Guest_yodstarr_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:52 PM

hey guys mayb its coincedence, or maybe its fact. but ive had the viv doors open slightly today (dont worry, ive fixed a lock thingy so there no way he will escape) and he's been much more active. im guessing it was due to humidity in the viv. dont know. all i do know is i seem to have a much happier tortoise.

thnx to you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way ive got my betadine and we ve been bathed in it, so hopefully this will help. getting him to the vets this wk also.

again thnx all!!!!!!

#25 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:46 PM

Jody stop right there we have all made mistakes of some kind, we learn and move on, hopefully someone reading your plight may learn to go about things in a better way, the main one being find a good breeder, there are quite a few out there now and the majority will help the new owner to get started in the right way.
You have not left things, you have found out by researching and can correct things quickly.
I still say a bright normal light will be better for your little girl :-) which I too think it is.
When you get to page 14, I think of the t/lady's booklet, you will see how to measure your tortoise.
My main concern is with the tortoise, being bought from a pet shop they are a bit iffy, could be wild caught, although your licence will say captive bred in Slovenia probably, if it does, it's even more reason to have her checked for worms and parasites, there's no need to worry unduly, but will need sorting at some time.
As for the shell you can keep using the Betadine DILUTED 10 to 1 and remove it when you bathe her, don't let it build up, then put fresh on, I don't think it is shell rot yet, so with care it will be ok, but it takes years for a shell to correct itself. and she does look as if she has had some chipped off, there is no more loose shell around that area is there???
Move forward now and enjoy that little dinosaur
Arnie

#26 Guest_yodstarr_*

Guest_yodstarr_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 10:07 PM

Jody stop right there we have all made mistakes of some kind, we learn and move on, hopefully someone reading your plight may learn to go about things in a better way, the main one being find a good breeder, there are quite a few out there now and the majority will help the new owner to get started in the right way.
You have not left things, you have found out by researching and can correct things quickly.
I still say a bright normal light will be better for your little girl :-) which I too think it is.
When you get to page 14, I think of the t/lady's booklet, you will see how to measure your tortoise.
My main concern is with the tortoise, being bought from a pet shop they are a bit iffy, could be wild caught, although your licence will say captive bred in Slovenia probably, if it does, it's even more reason to have her checked for worms and parasites, there's no need to worry unduly, but will need sorting at some time.
As for the shell you can keep using the Betadine DILUTED 10 to 1 and remove it when you bathe her, don't let it build up, then put fresh on, I don't think it is shell rot yet, so with care it will be ok, but it takes years for a shell to correct itself. and she does look as if she has had some chipped off, there is no more loose shell around that area is there???
Move forward now and enjoy that little dinosaur
Arnie

Hi arnie
thnx for that! i had a feeling he was a girl! brilliant! im also going to get her checked out just to be on the safe side, this vet in telford seems to get a lot of recognition so will probably go there. there is a little more loose shell, only a small area but i will keep an eye on it, its next to where the other damage is, not anywhere else so ill take that as a good thing. not sure where shes come from, on the cert it only has the initial CZ which im guessing is Czech republic.

Listen guys i really appreciate all yr help and advise, you must see a lot of this, but u know some people just want to enjoy torts (my new buzz word!!) and sometimes its hard to see where to start for the best. now i know, ill spread the word, FIND A BREEDER NOT A PET STORE!!!

thnx again

#27 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:12 PM

Hi Arnhib,

I hope I haven't been doing the wrong thing. You said to Jody that "Dandelions you can give the tortoise all the leaf except for about an inch above the root." I've been giving Boris all of the leaf. Does the bottom inch contain something toxic?

Nina

#28 Guest_Lowe_*

Guest_Lowe_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

Looks like you have a little girl to me ;)

As for the pet shop, I've been to Slade Rd, and yes they're not the most knowledgable indeed...

Sadly, as you can see there aren't many vets that know much about Torts local. As Sarah says, the closest we could find that was reputable was in Telford. A bit of a mission yes, but ultimately worth it. :)

#29 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:32 PM

Hello Nina
My torts eat the roots as well, no there is nothing toxic, just trying to get Jody started on some weeds, cut the leaves off to about 1" from the root and set the root and it should grow again but they need a little bit of leaf to take in the sun and water to get going
On the same lines if you let some of the t/lady's tortoise seeds go to seed when they have grown, they will come up next year too
Arnie

#30 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:59 PM

Thanks Arnhib, that's a relief. I just misread your advice. I've got some dandelions in a pot indoors (with an abutilon that Boris loves for flowers and leaves - it's related to hibiscus)and I'm always careful to leave enough leaf so that it can continue to grow.

Nina

#31 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

Hi Jody
You've got lots of great advice already. With the viv can you take the glass out and tip it so it's sitting on it's back. If you can do that, that would help alot.
Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users