- - - - -

Hibernating

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

can someone please explain why we need to Hibernate our torts,???

#2 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:22 AM

Hi,
Here is a link to the tortoise trust this will explain about hibernation http://www.tortoiset...cles/juvhib.htm

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com

#3 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

I've never seen it set in stone that we do have to hibernate, ours have never been hibernated and some of em are years old. Theres alot of differing views on the subject of hibernation honey but in the end you do what you feel is best for your torts.:)

#4 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

I dont want to get in an argument over this but i feel that it is very important. Tortoises need time to shut down, tortoises are programmed to eat as much as they can preparing for hibernation, but if they dont hibernate they can get fat. Hibernation is not scary and within a few hours of them waking up most tortoise start eating and are back to normal. I believe that it is very important and is a must as it is natural. Although some people do not hibernate their tortoises for a number of reasons. Just make sure if you do hibernate your tortoise that it is healthy by following the tortoise trust guidlines.

#5 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:51 PM

ok, thankyou for both opions, its great to talk.

#6 Guest_lisa0307_*

Guest_lisa0307_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 11:01 AM

No I don't hibernate my tortoises either and never had any problems. In the end it's up to you. Theres lots of different opinions on hibernation, personal choice at the end of the day. :) :) :)

#7 Guest_Katrin4711_*

Guest_Katrin4711_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:52 PM

Mine (1/2 years old) are just out of 3 months hibernation. They are very fit and eating well. I'm so pleased. They act as they have spent the last months at Champneys :)

#8 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

Thats really good glad to see you tried and succeeded its the right way to go your tortoises will be alot more fit and healthy for it.
Darren

#9 Guest_shootinglou79_*

Guest_shootinglou79_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 10:25 AM

thanks to all above, but im still not sure, ovioulsy i cant hibernate my torts till next year now, but i will admit im alittle scared which i suppose is only natural for a 1st timer, but when is it safest to do so, my torts are 2yrs and 4 yrs old.

#10 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hibernating tortoises is not that hard just scary. I hibernate mine over the coldest part of the year. So depends a lot on where you live as to when that is.
If you go to www.thetortoisehouse.com you will find some great information.

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:18 PM

Well put Amy it isnt hard its natural to tortoises. When you complete your first hibernation you feel silly about all the worring you have done. of cause there is a chance they may get sick but they may get sick at anytime. As long as you weight them while they are in hibernation to make sure they are losing the correct weight, you will be fine. If they lose to much weight you can always wake them up earlier. I have 5 new tortoises to hibernate next winter including two hatchlings. 7 in total i need a larger fridge lol

#12 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

It's all about personal choice in the end.:)

#13 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:36 PM

In my case its the tortoises that choose to hibernate.

#14 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:38 PM

Thats cool, but our torts choose not to hibernate, again it's personal choice.:)

#15 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

Can i just ask how do you kneo when your tortoise wants to hibernate or not? i have tortoises that slow down earlier than others. The ones that take a while to slow down i just wait a few weeks and they normally slow down.

#16 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

Ours don't slow down, and I'm not the only one to have torts that stay awake during the winter months. We have had torts for over 40 years and never hibernated, with no problems.

#17 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

Im not having a go at you, we all do it differently. Just wondered. As my tortoises always slow down

#18 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:00 PM

Honey I know you weren't having a go, I don't take questions personally especially when their from you, bin there done that and all lol. I suppose ours don't slow down because they are brought in from the garden before it gets too cold in the year and they are back in their enclosures before they can feel any cold. Honey I think you know me by now, I don't tell anyone how to keep their torts,I'll give advice and say how we do it but then it's up to the individual, thats how it should be. lol:)

#19 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

Oh good :-) i just feel it is very important to tell new tortoise owners to hibernate their tortoises if they are fit and healthy. Tortoises have survived millions of years by hibernating and we shouldnt stop them doing this. It is my believe that they will live a longer and healthier life by hibernating. I totally agree with you Omare it is up to the individual but hibernation is not scary, any one who is scare pm me i will help you in the winter

#20 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:10 PM

Honey, if new tort owners want to hibernate then thats they're choice, I wouldn't dissuade them or anyone to do what they feel is right. But if someone asks, I won't lie and say we hibernate when we don't and have had no problems in doing this. I always state this is a personal choice but we are not the only ones that choose to do it this way.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users