Cecil Hermantrude

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:06 PM

Hayley Elizabeth

Hi eveyone I picked up my 1 year old herman on Sunday! He's smashing I'm gonna have another 1 in a couple of week! Has any one got any top tips? Do you all turn your spots and heat matts of in the vivs at night? Can you put anything in there vivs for them? How hot is it in your vivs? }>

#2 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:58 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-02-06 AT 04:00 PM (GMT)]Hello Hayley,

Congratulations on your new arrival!!.
I'm no expert but I have learn't so much from the people on this forum and one of the biggest no no's is the viv. Most people on here advocate the tortoise table, vivariums are no good for torts as they hold alot of stale air and tort's need good ventilation

www.pettortoise.co.uk/tortoise_table.php

Mine is made from an under bed storage box with a few flat stones in there for interest and a little hollow log for them to hide in. I also have a combined heat and uv light which comes on at 7am and is off at 7pm. Also no to the heat matt it can do more harm than good.

I'm sure the others will be along soon to advise you better.

I found a lot of help from these useful sites:
www.tlady.clara.net/TortGuide/index.htm

www.tortoisetrust.org

Keri

#3 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

Hi I have already turned the heat mat off. He has big air vents in the top of his cage. He seems quite happy. I was gonna put him a hollow log in to but didn't want him to hurt himself.

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:22 PM

Welcome Hayley, as Keri has already said, vivs are no good for torts so if you could take the doors off and make it safe so the torts won't fall out that would be best for them honey. Also NO HEAT MAT, take it out and never use it for torts again, they can burn torts and do alot of harm so out with the mat. You should have either a combined UV and heat lamp or separate Uv and heat, depending on your set up.Have them on a timer, keris times are good. :)

#5 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:26 PM

Hayley Elizabeth

Are the timers expensive to buy Can u wire them up 2 a spot and uv. Shud u turn the uv of at nite as well?

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:29 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-02-06 AT 04:30 PM (GMT)]You can get two timers for about 14.99 from argos, will find a link for ya honey. Just plug them into a power socket and then plug the Uv and heat lamp into them. All lights should be turned off at night, torts indoors need no heat and any Uv at night will just confuse them as to day and night.:)

#7 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:30 PM

Here you go honey, two timers 14.99 argos

http://www.argos.co....ber/9827992.htm

#8 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

No they are not expensive This is what I use 3.49 from Argos ....Bargain !!

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9827978.htm

#9 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

We've used them and had no end of trouble, forget how many times we've taken them back. The digital ones are more reliable we find, the others are a pain in the wotsit:)

#10 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hi there!
Welcome to the forum.
First off I totally agree with what keri has said,.

Please please please don't put this little guy in a vivarium - he will not live very long in a viv,
Vivs cause breathing problems due to the high humidity in them, Also heat mats are a No No too, They dont need them and can burn your tortoise.
Try to mimic what they would have in the wild!!
The wouldnt have heat underneath them,, Only from above.
Please take the doors off and let plenty of air in,
Also can I ask what are you feeding him/Her,
As It should be only weeds on the menu,
No Pellets:(
I have put a picture of my enclosure for you to have a look at, to get some ideas. Table top enclosures are much better and airier,
I know you say your tortoise seems happy, But believe me,
You will be causing a very slow death if you keep him in the viv.

Yours
Joanne
X
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com

#11 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

Not forgetting the regular warm baths to help keep them hydrated and encourage them to eat, pee and poo.:)

#12 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:49 PM

I can vouch for that!!!

#13 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:06 AM

Didnt someone suggest on another forum that you could but the viv on its side so the back is the floor?then take the glass out.im sure someone had a picture somewhere?

#14 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:09 AM

Cheers

I will take the doors of my viv. I bin feeding him cabbge cucumber he loves grapes do you wet your food? I go and fetch sum timers for him. What do you lot feed your tortoises? He got quite dry skin at the mo what can I do to help?

#15 Guest_lisa0307_*

Guest_lisa0307_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

Regular baths will help his skin and his general all over well being Hayley. Cabbage is no good for tortoises and neither is fruit, it can give them upset tummys as there is alot of sugar in fruit. Cucumber is mostly water so be careful. Best to pick him some weeds, there is a caresheet on this site that will help you to pick the right ones, and all the safe plants on the caresheet aswell.

#16 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

MY TORT KEEPS BUBBING IN AND [OUT HIS SHELL LIKES HES OUT OF BREATH? [ IS IT NORMAL?
The doors on hi viv are wide open

#17 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

HE KEEPS BOBBING IN OUT HIS SHELL LIKES HE'S OUT OF BREATH

#18 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:11 AM

Most tortoises do this when the breath. How are you getting on with him?

#19 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:17 AM

WELL HE SEEMS HAPPUY ENOUGH. GONNA GET HIM SOME STONES AND BITS FOR HIS CAGE ON SAT AND TIMERS. I THINKING OF HAVING ANOTHER ONE FOR HIM. WHAT BITS AND BOBS AV YOU GOT 4 YOUR ENCLOSER? COULD YOU RECOMMENDED ANY GOOD BITS THAT HE WILL LIKE?

#20 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

Below is a picture of my set up
I have a mixure of sand and soil then on top beech wood chippings.Then i planted pansies and a cactus in the soil (they love climbing over them). i brought some plant pots and cut them in half and put them in. I also have a wooden hide that Darren gave me. I have a slab for them to feed off, also I have plastic leaves that i brought off ebay and i have a water bowl which the love waking through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users