- - - - -

Cecil Hermantrude

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

MY CAGE IS RELLY BARE AT THE MOMENT. AND HE HAS GOT THE LIKE GREY TRY SAND STUFF IN IT. WAT TYPE TORTS WERE ON THAT PIC?

#22 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:33 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-02-06 AT 10:35 AM (GMT)]Some people use the substate hemp but i like to use play sand mixed with top soil 50/50 mix. I would change your substrate. In that picture the tortoises are baby cherry heads and one baby red foot, the soil is kept damp for them as they are tropical but this can be used for med tortoises just keep the soil dry, below is a picture of my med tortoises set up which is kept dry 1/2 is hemp and half is sand and soil.

#23 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:37 AM

OK. THANK YOU YOU GAVE ME SUM GREAT IDEAS. DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE SAME BREED OF TORT IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON HAVEING TO LIVING TOGETHER?

#24 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:44 AM

They are all separate i have 8 different set ups.
they include
1 adult female spur thighed med
1 two year old med spur thighed
2 baby med spur thighed hatchlings
All above can go togther once adult

5 red foot tortoises in large enclosure see picture below
1 male horsfeild
2 female horsfeilds
1 tunisian tortoise
3 cherry headed tortoises

it is very important not to mix spieces the following is from the tortoise trust

There are several valid reasons not to mix tortoises and turtles of different species in the same enclosure. Below are the three reasons I feel are most important.

1) Many species are incompatible because of differing environmental needs. It goes without saying that the compromises one is forced to make when trying to satify the needs of, f.e. a Spurred tortoise from the arid subsaharan Africa and those of a Hingeback from the deep tropical forests of the western and central parts of the same continent, are doomed to condemn at least one, and most likely both tortoises to a slow death.

2) Maybe the most important factor that speaks against mixing different kinds of turtles and tortoises is the risk of cross infection. Chelonians naturally harbors many organisms that, while not posing any danger to the carrying animal, might be lethal to an individual of another species. This risk, according to some, is especially large when the species in question originate from different parts of the world, while the risk is said to diminish (but not disappear) if the animals in question are captive bred and raised.

3) The third reason not to mix different varieties of turtles or tortoises together is the risk of them harming eachother. The breeding behaviour in many species is quite rough, involving butting, biting and ramming, and while a female of the same species is 'built' for that particular type of rough handling, a female of another species is most likely not equipped to come out of such an ordeal unharmed.

The conclusion: - Do try to avoid housing different varieties of chelonians together, the gain (in space) is simply not worth the risk of injury, disease - or even death.

#25 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:48 AM

Here is the picture

#26 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:54 AM

OK THANK YOU. BUT HE SHUD BE FINE WITH ANOTHHER HERMAN.
WHAT WEEDS BESIDE DANDILIONS CAN HE EAT CAUSE HE HAS BEEN HAVING ALOT OF VEG

#27 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:55 AM

Here is a good web site for weeds
http://www.tlady.clara.net/id16.htm

#28 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

i WAS ADVISED BY THE PLAVE WERE CECYIL HERMATRUDE CAME FROM NEVER TO GIVE HIM TAP WATER AS IT CONTAINS ALOT OF LIME AND WERE i LIVE IS A HARD WATER AREA. NOTTINGHAM THE WATER IS VERY LIMEY AND CHALKEY

#29 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:16 AM

I use tap water for all my tortoises, some people boil their water and let it cool or bottled water.

#30 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:22 PM

HAVE GOT ANY MORE TIPS?

#31 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

Dont know if you do this but on your tortoises food you should put vitamins and calcium.
nutrobal- vitamins from any good pet shop or order on line
Calcium- limestone flour from any horse supplier its very cheap i wouldnt order this on line as postage can be very expensive.

I mix mine to a ratio of 7 (limestone flour) and 2 (nutrobal) messure with anything eg scoop

I have had brilliant results changing to limestone flour and weeds look at the picture below it is a ppicture of my tunisian tortoise and you can see new growth that is flat

Please note taht nutrobal states that it has calcium in but it has a very small amount your tortoise needs more and vitamins should be give 2-3 times a week as you can over dose where as you cannot over dose on calcium.

#32 Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*

Guest_Hayley_Elizabeth_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:38 PM

What exactley are the vitamans and calcium you used called?

#33 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:39 PM

calcium- limestone flour

vitamins- nutrobal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users