Runny Nose - help

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:38 PM

Hello all I am really worried about George my 7 month old herman. I have noticed today that he has started with a runny nose, its only the one nostril. Apart from this he seems his usual self he is still eating and drinking well. I would really appreciate your advice on this as I'm not sure what to do next, should I take him to a vet?

#2 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:00 PM

Yes best if you do just to get him checked out it maybe RNS or an allergy to his substrate what is your substrate
Darren

#3 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:03 PM

I'm using sand / soil substrate. I will send him to the vet ASAP. thanks

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

Hope he's ok honey, keep us posted how he's doing:)

#5 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:05 PM

Do you think I should quarentine him from my other tort Mildred?? Who by the way is not showing any signs of having a runny nose.

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:06 PM

Might be a good idea, you don't want two of em to be ill, just until the vets seen him.:)

#7 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

If one has it it is more than likely the other one does too if both are acting normal i would leave them together until you see the vet, it might be the dusty texture of the sand soil just irrateig the nasal passage try adding an area of small bark chips or hemp bedding especially where they are fed or around there hide areas this way they don't take in dust while feeding or at rest my tables are a combination of both half sand soil half hemp or bark chips
Darren

#8 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for all your advice George has turned in for the night leaving me worried sick. I'll see what tomorrow brings. I've found a vet's in Liverpool which is open tomorrow morning so if needs be I will get him reviewed then and keep you posted.

Keri

#9 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:42 PM

It's possible that the substrate is causing the problem, I guess removing the substrate and trying something else by process of elimination might help.

We used coconut bark for several weeks, but found that it was leaving a film of dust that caused both George and Ringo to sneeze constantly. We thought it was RNS until we changed the substrate to a 50/50 mix of top soil and play sand and now they're both fine.

#10 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

Try him on some clean paper honey to see if that helps, may be just the substrate as everyone says. Hope he's better in the morning:)

#11 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:51 PM

Hi, I think it could be my substrate although I am using sand/soil it is 2 parts sand to one soil. So I think I need to add more soil making it 50/50 this may reduce the dust.

Can't think what else could have caused his symptoms???

Keri

#12 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

Don't panic Keri honey, try him on the clean paper and see if it helps, you never know it may be as simple as that, you may not even need a visit to the vets, torts can be such a worry huh lol:)

#13 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

Hi Keri
Deffinately try 50/50 sand soil sounds like you have too much sand which makes a dusty effect another tip is to give the substrate a gentle mist over don't soak it just a gentle spray this holds the dust down and also gives your tortoise a gentle humidty this will keep its nares moist runny noses can happen if the air is to dry
sometimes its best if there retirement area is lightly misted prior to retireing for the evening , i use 50/50 sand soil not really had any problems but if i do get the odd sniffle i up the humidity only slighly mind by spraying there retreat area how longhave you had your tortoises and kept them on sandsoil
Darren

#14 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:33 PM

Unfortunately I was unable to go to the vets today as it was emergencies only, and as George is eating and drinking and acting as normal I have to wait until tomorrow. Apart from one or two little sneezes Georges nose for now has stopped running.

Darren, I have had both George and Mildred on sand/soil since I got them a little over a month ago. They had been on hemp prior to this. For the first two weeks I did keep some of this hemp in their little hollow log to settle them in. but I have now removed it as they where eating it all the time.

I will definitely add more soil to my mix and I will give the mist ago.

Thanks

Keri

#15 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:02 PM

Hi Keri
Heres a few pics of some of my hatchling, young tortoise tables with various substrates i find they all work really well , i'm new to hemp and my tortoises ate it quite readily at first but now seem to thrive really well on it.

#16 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:19 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-02-06 AT 03:21 PM (GMT)]Great set ups Darren thanks. I might give hemp another go in addition to the sand/soil mix. I've been looking for something that I can put round their water bowl so when they have finished using it they dont get covered in the sand/soil as it seems to get everywhere eyes, nose etc and they are forever rubbing their faces to get it off. So this to could be adding to George's problem??

#17 Guest_p1glet_*

Guest_p1glet_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

If you see on in my tables the water bowls are either on the hemp side or bark chips also the ones with soil/sand areas have a rough log seperating the substrates so when a wet(damp) tortoise thats soaked its self moves to the other side the hemp that has stuck to it generally falls of as the tortoise scrambles over it so not polluting either side to much with the various substrates hope thaat makes sense.
Darren

#18 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

Do you know where I can get some hemp from?

#19 Guest_lepinsky_*

Guest_lepinsky_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

For hemp try the following:
http://www.aubiose.co.uk/
Aubiose is the commercial name of one of the best sorts of hemp in the UK. You could ask your local petshop if they can order it for you (but you will have to pay more). It only comes in bales (which are huge), but my petshop agreed to order in a bale and then break it up and sell me half a bale because they have a good market for it from guinea pig owners, etc. and could sell on the rest.

Nina

#20 Guest_Kerismurfit_*

Guest_Kerismurfit_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-02-06 AT 05:17 PM (GMT)]Hello all, just thought I would update you all on George. I took him to the vet 2 days ago. He is currently being treated for an upper respiratory tract infection, a nose swab has been sent off for culture and in the meantime has been prescribed Baytril 2.5% 0.01ml every day which by the way is proving a nightmare to administer!! When I do manage to give it to him he spits it out in disgust. It also seems to have put him off his food which up until commencing his medicine he loved.

When I came home from work today the poor thing had his eyes shut and was having difficulty opening them. He also seems more lethargic. I can only hope and pray that the medicine will kick in soon.

Keri
:-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users