- - - - -

Denton parrots

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 06:47 PM

i got this email today and i thought i would share it with you and suggestions for a reply back?

Would you be good enough to answer my questions?

What is the correct humidity level for Hermans and why do you seem hell bent
on asking if my tortoises are wild caught. I'm almost certain it is you who
keeps virtually following my adverts and I'd like to know why you feel you
have to ask if they are wild caught. Are you the gate keeper for tortoises?
Are you an authorative figure on tortoises and why do you think you are.

Carl.

#2 Guest_rupert_the_dog_*

Guest_rupert_the_dog_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:00 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-02-06 AT 07:21 PM (GMT)]Hi Sarah,

Not sure you need to reply as Dentontortoise was the last person to join the forum as I write this!

I am sure Carl will read and learn and maybe even share his tortoise knowledge with us all.

Welcome Carl.

Regards

Mike

#3 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:51 PM

ahhh didnt notice that, he states that he has several of thease for sale and i only asked where they were from and if they were wild caught tortoises. I would love to here what he has to day tho

#4 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:53 PM

He had a go at me on the for sale and want forum cause I said vivs are bad and asked where his torts were from! The guys a total idiot really nippy! Checked out his website and it appears he can't decide whether to sell fish, birds or tortoises?? Since we are all of the opinion that these type of outlets are bad news why doesn't the webmaster ban such members posting ads???

#5 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

The web master did remove a post that dentonparots put on yesterday.

#6 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:12 PM

OK cool!

#7 Guest_tortoise_mad_*

Guest_tortoise_mad_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:18 PM

Yes, i can confirm this members posts were removed.

Regards

Webmaster

#8 Guest_jeff_*

Guest_jeff_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:23 PM

Yes way to go webmaster

#9 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

Just had a message of dentonparrots and he states that they are not wild caught and that he has tried getting on the forum but cannot log on lol

#10 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:56 PM

mmmmm,I wonder were he gets them from??}>

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#11 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:23 PM

yes i wonder. I got this message off him

I take it that's the same for breeders who sell above cost price is it? Profit is profit regardless of how you make it, and if breeders are selling for more than they cost to breed (pounds) then that is the same as buying and selling. No doubt if that's the case then small mindedness is pointless arguing with!! No breeders seem to sell for cost alone but more like market value..more than cost is clearly a profit. Contradictions all round!!

Your argument of humidity build up in vivairums is not a very valid one neither, as we have humidity dials in there and it NEVER goes above 62% (adequate) and is normally about 54%. What humidity do you have in your house where I assume you use tortoise tables? My house is 75% and that's with central heating so that ends your argument right there. Would love to hear what humdity is in your home (that's IF you've bought a hygrometer) as you seem very concerned about it (as you should be as a responsible keeper) and I assume you and all others who responded regarding it on herman-tortoise.co.uk have tested it.

#12 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:39 PM

Thats intresting I wonder why he aint joining in on the forum and just posting to you sarah, Has he got something to hide?

Yours
Calamity Jane
www.tortoises.piczo.com
www.thetorthouse.piczo.com
My Tortoises:
1.4.2 Hermanns

#13 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 12:09 AM

Humidity in a house is different to humidity in a viv surely??? My house has central heating but it is also very well ventilated or I would have condensation. Surely stagnant air in a viv encourages bacteria- is that not the point?? This man is terribly defensive. Its one thing to ask someone to cover cost, time and effort by asking a reasonable price but these dealers buy in at silly low prices and make a huge profit! Oh dear! Sarah just tell him to go.....(use your imagination!)

#14 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 07:32 AM

If this man is genuine, then i'll eat my heat mat. }>

#15 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:45 PM

Nice one george_hermann, a heat mat might be hotter than a curry?!...T.T.

#16 Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*

Guest_Terrific Tortoise_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 08:37 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-02-06 AT 08:42 PM (GMT)]Dear Mr. Cockatoo, Ok usual (9 times out of 10) scenario when buying a Tort from a Pet Shop...1st-The tort is said to be "captive bred"?, the question is what country?! Article 10 could have Germany, but most probably Slovenia (especially Hermanns) connections?!, we all know what is going on!!...2nd-The viv? is offered along with heat mat?tort food/pellets? expensive substrate?/heat bulbs etc.etc.etc. Not many pet shops sell their torts for under 150.00 (I know of 1 pet shop charging over 200.00 for a baby tort) add to that the viv + equipment again well over 100.00, Total=250.00+...3rd-Now if the tort was "wild caught"?, how long do you think it will live for? Vet bills are very expensive indeed, there are a lot of sad stories of these torts dying, or infected at the very least...4th-So hundreds of pounds later, a big vet bill, a dead tort, not the greatest scenario for the poor novice tort keeper?!...Now what if you were offered a "UK" captive bred from a private breeder/hobbyist, his name on the article 10, tort history from birth, ongoing advice, personal experience care sheets, advise on do it yourself tort tables/housing alternatives etc.etc.etc., which option would you go for???...You came to this forum looking for profit(just take a look at your posts)oh, and chasing the "Blonde one"!!! Did you really think that these tort loving forum members were going to sit back and let you do your "salesman pitch"???!!!...I have heard about a very well known reptile shop in Essex who buys torts (50 to 100 at a time!) for less than 50.00 each from "Germany"?!...enough said...T.T.

#17 Guest_george_hermann_*

Guest_george_hermann_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:13 PM

Very well put. In a nutshell - Beat it.

#18 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:19 PM

lol what can i say TT brilliant

#19 Guest_Calamity Jane_*

Guest_Calamity Jane_*